Change Your Ticket

November 17: One Direction has just released their new album; Four.

Jennifer went to sleep right after that conversation. I'm not quite sure if she didn't realize I was listening to that conversation or if she did it on purpose, whatever it was, I think I did need to hear that.
My mind immediately flashed back to that day of July. When Niall took me on stage after the concert and asked me to be his girlfriend. Out of everything he said to me that night, one phrase kept popping back into my mind:

"I know you want to be independent and that you don't want your happiness to depend on a guy but my happiness does depend on you. "

Darn it Niall! It's not usual for the girl that hates cliche statements to fall for one but here I was, hopelessly in love with a cheesy boy.

It's been almost a year Anabeth!! Get over that boy. Forget about him. You have to let it all go. The way he kissed you, the way he smelled, the way he touched your waist and pulled you in. You have to let it go and you have to let him go. It's unbelievable that even after so much time, just the sound of his voice on the radio can make you break down.

I was in the middle of having a debate with myself when Jennifer ran in.

"Beth!! Wake up. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up. NOW."

It was probably 7 in the morning. I didn't have class until 9:30 so I was still in bed. She however, had class at 6 in the morning. I have no idea how she can wake up so early and not be moody the rest of the day like I would be.

She jumped on me and started hitting me with my own pillows and pushing me until she managed to make me fall out of bed. She looked like an excited toddler on Christmas morning trying to wake up her parents to open up the gifts, no joke.

"I was awake, there was no need of such violence Jennifer." I replied while trying to stand myself up. I felt like I had been attacked.

"You have to listen to this."

She went over to my laptop and typed in some song. I didn't pay much attention, I was busy trying to pick up all my pillows. Did I ever mention that I sleep with a thousand pillows? Well, I do, and this child had managed to drop every single one of them off the bunk bed.

"Anabeth, leave those pillows on the floor! I need you to pay close attention to this song. Listen to the lyrics."

"If you told me which song it is and who its by it would be helpful."

"I'll tell you after. But I think you'll know."

Jennifer hit play then sat back, staring at my face. The song began and I did as she said, I paid attention to the lyrics:

"Watching you get dressed messes with my head
Take that bag off your shoulder
Come get back in bed we still got time left
This don't have to be over.."

By this part I knew who the song was by, One Direction. It's hard not to identify the boys' singing after months of being on tour with them and listening to their performance every night.
The song continued and I couldn't help but tear up. If this song was composed by who I think it was then I definitely made a stupid mistake and now I feel worse than how I've felt these past months. The song was about to be over and then it reached a part that's said:

"Why don't we take some time?
Why don't we take just a little more time?
Why don't we make it right?
Girl I don't wanna say goodbye"

That's when I completely lost control of my emotions. I stopped the video and closed up my laptop.

"It's the #1 Hit that Liam was talking about. I see you know who it's by. The song is called 'Change Your Ticket' by One Direction. Fully composed by Niall James Horan. Released today."

"Jennifer, if what you're trying to do is make me feel miserable you're a little too late because that's how I've felt for the longest time now. I regret every decision I made but god damn it I can't take it back!"

"You seriously think I'm doing this to make you feel worse about yourself?! Anabeth stop being so selfish and listen to this! I'm trying to make you realize that this boy loves you more than you ever thought. That maybe he loves you more than he loves music and fame. Don't you get it?!"

Maybe I didn't get it, but at this moment I was so hurt that I wasn't even trying to understand anything or anyone anymore.
I didn't answer her, I just stared blankly at the laptop then sat down on the edge of my bunk and looked at the floor for what was probably the longest time. I'm not sure if I wanted to cry or if I wanted to punch something. I was frustrated, I was mad with myself, and I was especially mad with the fact that someone else had to tell me all of this because I was so focused on myself.

You know, best friends don't exist only to make you laugh and have the best time of your life; sometimes they exist to make you realize your flaws and errors before they completely ruin you, sometimes they exist to give you the worst, yet best, talks and to make you think thoroughly.

She looked at me with the same face she gives me every time we argue.
I know that face, it's a combination of
'what? Now you're not going to answer me?'
and
'yeah you better not answer me because I'll punch you'.

She replayed the song and walked out of the dorm.

"It's about time you do something about this." She said before closing the door.