Chapter (1)

(Revised for minor errors : (7/21/18)

The smell of Axe cologne and bubble gum perfume filled whatever was left of the pure air that roamed in and out of the school halls. With every passing second, it becomes more suffocating.

I pulled up the front of my sweater to cover my nose. I had hoped this would keep my stomach from doing flips, but it didn't prevail.

The stench of what may have been the latest Marc Jacobs perfume became increasingly apparent. I knew who it was. Jessica Bow, your average rich white girl with a huge daddy problem.

She was the daughter of the school's super attendant. Because of this, Jessica thought she deserves every accolade, every title from student-body president to prom queen, yet not in my book. To me, the only title she deserves was being the rich white bitch.

After entering my combination, my locker was slammed shut before I could grab everything.

From the corner of my right eye, I saw Jessica and her posse. Her newly bleached curls bounced as she threw them back and her attire was more than revolting. Without looking, I knew she must have been wearing some colored crop top and a mini skirt.  To top it all off, she's wear the most obnoxious hells one could buy. 

I slowly turned my head and smiled, "What do you want?"

One of the girls in her little group handed her a stack of books in which Jessica held it out to me. "I need you to do me a favor and do my work."

"No."

"What?"

"I said 'No', got a hearing problem?" As much I didn't stand up for myself, I had to when it came to Jessica. She needed to know not everyone was her puppet. 

"What you meant to say was 'No problem, I can do that.'"

"No, I'm pretty sure no was what I wanted to say."

She looked at her groupies and then smiled, "You know what happens to people who disrespect me?"

"No, because I really don't care, so if you'll-"

She pushed me against my locker and wrapped her skeleton finger around my neck, "I'm going to teach you what happens to those who say no."

I watched her pull back. Once her fist started to come towards me, I ducked down and slid from her grasp.

"You little bitch," she hissed, "I broke a nail because of you!" 

"I think you broke more than a nail." I jokingly said. 

"You'll pay for that." 

Just as I expected, she lunged for me. I moved away and not a second later heard what could have been her hands or face smacking the ground. I never felt myself cringe so hard. I winced at the sound as I tried to contain my laughter.

"You know, it's people like you who work for people like me," I stood above her, "Think twice before you decide you want to be a bitch to someone."

I backed up from her. She let out a scoff and quickly pushed through the crowd of phone-wielding teens. 

Before turning to my locker, behind the crowd I saw a dashing fellow with emerald green eyes and night black hair. As much as I wanted to let my mind wonder who he could have been, I shook it off and reminded myself that I had to get back to my dorm.

 I put my books in my bag in my backpack and lingered as I stared at all the photos and noted from my family.

One note, in particular, read "You're never too far from love."