10

"So are you guys together together?" Taylor asks in between a mouthful of food as we have dinner with a few others a few days later, including Blake and Ryan. 

"Wait, who are you dating?" Blake now asks, invested in whatever tea I'm about to spill. 

I groan and take a long sip of wine. This is gonna be awkward as hell for me as Ryan knows Chris. "no one". I lie and stuff some pasta into my mouth. 

Taylor grins. "Did you go see him though?" 

"Whoooooo?" Blake is leaning even closer so as not to miss out on any secrets. 

"Me". Ryan replies dryly as he simply sits and half listens to us while also talking to the others. 

"Quiet you". I laugh and then nod. "Yeah, I went to see him, and am I constantly checking my phone every half hour because I'm fucking obsessed and miss him? Yeah". 

Blake is literally looking from me to Taylor and then back to me. "Wait, do we know him?" 

I lean in. "Chris Evans". I whisper as her mouth turns into an 'o' shape at the gossip. 

"Oh my god, like, how did that come about?" She asks, a little stunned. It's sunk in for me a bit more right now. No longer am I in the 'oh my god it's him' phase, but more 'it's just Chris' head state, and it just feels normal. Perhaps because we haven't got the media's eyes on us. 

"She took her shot through a Tik Tok and his brother saw - then he came to one of the Boston dates and I guess that was it?" Taylor is still grinning like a Cheshire cat, loving every moment of this blossoming love story. 

"So anyway, what about your new guy?" I turn the conversation to her and she's gushing. 

"We got to spend some time together a couple of days ago, he came to New York. I guess everything's gonna go a little mad when I go to the games though - hence why I need you guys there for moral support". She smiles. "His mom? Is the sweetest, she reminds me of mine. I haven't met his dad yet though but I know he's gonna be going to a few games". 

I can't help but smile as she talks about Travis. People are going to be invested for sure, but she deserves to be happy. She looks glowing more than usual in my opinion and it seems this relationship is putting the spark back into her, even if it only is early days. 

A message comes up on my phone and I reach over to take a look at it. Chris. It's a picture of him and Dodger. Blake and Taylor are both now looking at me knowingly and I roll my eyes. "What? stop looking at me like that".

"You have no idea how much you're smiling into that screen". Taylor stabs her fork into her food. "You guys keeping it low profile for a while?" 

I nod. "Yeah. He likes his privacy and I don't exactly like the idea of being the topic of his fans conversation. Although I know eventually I probably will be". 

She and Blake nod. "Well you already know what the media may be like. It's not exactly healthy, but just don't listen to anything they or fans have to say. It all comes down to you two at the end of it". 

"I know. Some people have joked in the comments about whether I was with him". 

"You don't owe them shit". Ryan puts in after having listened for a while. "I know Chris, he's a good guy. He'll keep you protected from all that crap for sure". 

"I know, it's just one of the obstacles I know I'll have to get over". I shrug and continue to eat, then texting Chris back. 

I miss you both! Will call you later once I'm back home - should be about 11? Will you even be still awake?! 😛 x 

Chris: I may be old, but I'm not that old 😂 I'll be awake, love you Harps x 

My heart pounds as I read and re-read the text over and over. 

"Be right back". I get up and head to the restroom that thankfully is empty. Then I call him. 

"Hey? You're not home until eleven? You alright?" He asks with some concern. 

"You said you loved me..." 

He's silent for a moment. "Yeah, I do". 

Now it's my turn not to say anything for a moment, because this is quite a big thing. It's a casual 'love you' but it's still that. "Well...I called because I wanted to say, love you too..." I lean back against the wall. 

He laughs softly. "Go on, you should be having dinner and catching up with your friends instead of taking time out to speak to me".

"I know, but I didn't wanna make you wait until later for me to say it, that's all". 

"I should've said it before you left, but I didn't wanna scare you off or think that it was too soon". 

I feel giddy. "We've been talking for months, technically it's not too soon". The door opens and someone comes in. "Anyway I'll call you later". 

"Alright, love you". He says and I can tell he's smiling as he does. 

"Love you too, Evans".