𝟎𝟏𝟑. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐦𝐧

THE BEAUTY OF AUTUMN
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter thirteen,
Gilmore Girls — Season One

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter thirteen, Gilmore Girls — Season One

October 12th, 2000

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUCY'S POV ]

THE AUTUMN FESTIVAL is my all time favourite town event, but because I'm the daughter of the town-festival hater, I don't ever say that I like these insipid festivals. However, just because I can't voice how I feel about the festivals, I can certainly look at the beauty of autumn through the window of the diner.

     I thoroughly enjoy looking at the seasons change from summery green to autumnal orange. Decorations scatter the centre of town. There's pumpkins, streamers, and silly paper turkeys that I find amusing. My dad hates these silly festivals, and I have tried to subtly convince him many times in the past to decorate. Hell, he's even against decorating the diner for Christmas.

     While I'm disappointed Dad won't decorate for my favourite town event, Taylor Doose— the town selectman and mayor— is another level of displeased by my dad's decision to keep the diner bare and boring.

     Every year, like clockwork, Taylor stands in our diner and he follows my dad around like a headless chicken— turkey— hoping that he'll one day change his mind. Every year, I ignore their bickering, but this year, Taylor is right next to my ear while I try to drink my coffee peacefully.

     I nearly drop the cup from my hands when his voice comes too close to my ear. "Every other store in town has fall decorations."

     "Well, hurrah for the mob mentality," Dad says, his tone sarcastic.

     I breathe a sigh of relief when Taylor moves from his place next to me to begin following my dad from table to table as he serves customers. He blabbers in his ear, "We're talking a few streamers and a paper turkey. How is it gonna hurt to have a paper turkey?"

     Luke Danes— hater of all things festive— would never been seen with a paper turkey.

"No turkeys, no squash, no pumpkins— Nothing coloured orange." Dad steps around the counter with dirty dishes and he places them in front of me, and I would help but I take great entertainment in watching these two men bicker.

Taylor is leaning over the counter, trying to talk to Dad. "Okay, so you don't like orange. That's fine. Autumn has many varied hues to toy with."