𝟎𝟒𝟐. 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐦

DON'T BLAME HIM
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter forty-two,
Gilmore Girls — Season Two

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter forty-two, Gilmore Girls — Season Two

April 30th, 2002

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUCY'S POV ]

     JESS MARIANO IS MANY THINGS. An asshole, a rebel, a bend-the-rules kind of guy, and even a friend to some. However, the one thing he's not, is academic. While he's smart and quick-witted, taking enjoyment in arts and literature, he's not motivated academically to achieve anything — and I mean anything.

He and I could not be more different from one another in school and in life.

Jess is failing school. He has been since he arrived in this "hellhole of a town", as he likes to describe it as, and because I'm classed as the "Einstein of the family", I'm supposed to drop everything and help the bastard I call a cousin. Well, I should drop everything and help him, but today I can't. Today is one of the many days I tutor Addy, and while Jess needs help, he doesn't take priority over my best friend.

The thing I don't understand is that Jess is smart. Hell, he's smarter than most and he could ace any class, but he doesn't apply himself, instead choosing to give up and ditch school without my dad knowing.

     Well, now my dad knows.

I left the school that afternoon with my dad after he'd been called to the principal's office to discuss Jess' behaviour in and outside of school. Principal Merton informed Dad that Jess hadn't completed any of his homework, hadn't participated in class since starting, and hadn't been attending most classes throughout the day. Jess shows no interest in school activities or other students, unless you count Addy and I, who are the only ones who spend any time with him in school. Well, I spend time with Addy, and he just follows us around, bothering me.

I listen to Dad rant about Jess, and then he asks me what I think, and I fear that whatever I say will only make matters worse. "Uh, he's..." I splutter, trying to think of an appropriate response. "He's flunking, yeah."

"Also, there's an issue with the disappearing baseballs," Dad then tells me, and I stare at him for a whole two minutes, more confused than ever before because what?

"Excuse me?"

"Every baseball on campus has disappeared. Do you know if he's stolen them?"

"Do I think Jess has stolen hundreds of baseballs? What kind of..." I pause, trying to think whether he would do something like that, and then I sigh, realising he would. "You should probably check."