~27~

I anticipated an impending question from her. As I glanced at her, I cleared my throat and made a right turn near her sister's house, but she remained silent.
Looking ahead, I finally spoke up. "Can you say something?"
Her gaze met mine, her eyes captivating me as they always had. "I'm still in shock." She says, eyes wide. "This seems like something out of a movie or a news story."
I rolled my eyes. "It's not that big of a deal. I'm never talking to her again."
"What if she wants to talk to you?"
I tightened my grip on the steering wheel. "If she wanted to talk, she would have done that years ago."
We fell into silence, with only the sound of the engine and passing cars breaking it.
I parked in front of her sister's place and glanced down at my lap. I didn't know if she would complain or if she would ask to go back to my place. Regardless of her reaction, I didn't want to witness it.
"So, what are the plans for tomorrow?" She asked, her gaze also directed at her lap when I managed to look at her.
"I don't know," I replied, my voice soft, barely above a whisper. I thought she hadn't heard me, and I didn't think I would have cared.
"Will you tell Mr. Stone?" She looked up at me, her brown eyes searching mine for an answer, but I remained silent. I didn't give her an answer because I didn't know myself.
"I'll let you know when I call tonight."
She looked at her sister's house through my side of the window, then exclaimed, "Oh, shit."
I turned my head to see a little girl playing with what appeared to be a shirt. There were multiple shirts and pants on the porch.
Leah jumped out of my car and waved me away. "I'll call you, don't call me," she said, then grabbed the little girl and ushered her inside the house.
I waited a little longer than I should have before gently accelerating and driving away.