Chapter 31: When The Masks Falls Off

RAY

"Yo!!! You still haven't dropped out?" Boston grins when he saw me get out of my car. With a matching grin, I fell into step beside him, shaking my head.

"Hey, it's too early for you to be bitchy, Ton" I said cheerfully as he placed his arms around me and together, we strolled towards our classes.

"Judging by that grin, I take it your groveling session went well?" he teased.

"Absolutely," I beamed, my cheeks starting to ache from smiling so much.

"Gross! You're turning into a mushy lovebird like the rest of them. Why did I ever like you?"Ton playfully shuddered, and we shared a laugh.

"How are things here?" I fell serious as we continued to walk to our classes knowing that there was no way to avoid Mew once we reached the classroom.

"Eh, you know Mew. Indifferent as ever. Top's groveling like you, though I can't fathom why. Mew's being his usual charming self, and Nick... well, he's probably had enough of me, especially since I never spilled about you," Ton surprisingly dropped the jesting tone when Nick came up.

"Need me to have a word with him? I might be able to clarify things better. I mean, let's face it, your explanations are probably on par with a five-year-old's," I offered.

"Thanks for the confidence boost, jerk! But glad you're back, and someone else seems thrilled too!" Ton's gaze shifted to Mew, who noticeably brightened upon spotting me. I edged closer to Ton, awkwardly waving at Mew and Cheum. Naturally, Cheum understood our seating arrangements, with Boston by my side.

"Are we seriously this disgustingly inseparable now?" Ton muttered.

"I'd rather not risk upsetting Yok. We just patched things up," I murmured back.

"Ha! Who would've thought you'd fear someone other than Mew, Pakorn! Don't worry, he's not heading our way now; the professor's about to start. Panic later," he reassured.

Nodding, already dreading the encounter, I whispered, "What about Nick? Should I talk to him?"

"Ray, I don't know. Nick and I aren't a thing. Just friends," Ton hissed.

"Didn't seem that way to me," I countered.

"Just cause you are already taken, doesn't mean everyone else wants to be," he grimaced.

"Uhoh," I said, as the professor entered the classroom, cutting our conversation short.

After class, dread washed over me as Ton and I approached the door. Mew, however, was quicker and intercepted us just outside.

"Ray! No 'hi' or anything? Where were you? I've been calling, but you never pick up anymore," Mew's accusatory tone stung, his bitterness palpable.

"Mew! We've been through this," Cheum interjected, shooting me an apologetic look.