Chapter 34: Love Beyond Pain?

RAY

RAY

Grasping at my thoughts, I was overwhelmed by a whirlwind of emotions. "What do I do now? Damn. What the hell should I even think? Was Yok lying to me from the start? It's such a shame that every single relationship I've ever had - be it with my parents, my friends, and now my lover - is all so messed up. I was under the illusion that my relationship with Yok would be healthy as hell now that we were past the whole 'I am in love with Mew' issue, but I should have known that Mew was born vindictive as hell, and Yok couldn't have magically just fallen in love with me at first sight. Why would he anyway? I've never been loved my whole life. Why did I ever think I deserved to be now?"

Placing the glass and bottle of whiskey on the table by the pool, I kicked off my shoes and started drinking.

Is this my punishment for breaking a promise? Because I vowed to repay Mew all my life, and I broke that for Yok? But Mew had not been faultless. He's a damn menace. How did my best friend become this blackmailer? It feels like I don't know this version of Mew. The one who lashed out and said all those things about me and Ton, that is a complete contrast to the gentle boy I've protected all these years.

"Jesus Christ, Ray!?" Nick yelped, startled, almost dropping the glasses in his hands.

"What's wrong?" Boston immediately came out, bringing drinks. They were apparently planning on drinking here too.

Pointing at me, Nick heaved a sigh. "I was so shocked that there was someone sitting there. Why didn't you turn on the lights, Ray?"

"I didn't even notice it was dark," I said listlessly.

"What's going on? I thought you said you were meeting your boyfriend?" Ton strolled nearer, peering at my face.

"I did. I just need a drink. If you guys need some alone time, I can go..." I attempted to stand.

"Hang on... no... don't worry, stay. We were just going to drink. Let's just drink together," he pushed me down and sat on the other lounger, gesturing for Nick to sit beside him.

We drank quietly for a while. I wished we could just do this until we all passed out. But Boston, ever the nosy person that he is, just had to break the precious silence.

"Are you tipsy enough to let it all out? What's up?" he queried as he gently ran his hand on Nick's arm.

"Nothing. I just wanted to drink," I slurred a bit. I hadn't had this much to drink in a while since Yok and I started dating.

"Right... and you opted to drink without your boyfriend? That, by itself, is already weird enough. You did so alone in the dark; man, that's creepy," Ton pointed out.

"Shut it, Ton," I snapped.

"It helps if you talk about it, Ray. We're here. Might as well get it off your chest," Nick asked gently.