A Trying Friday

NAYA POV
FRIDAY, JANUARY 27th

I didn't have to shoot for Step Up High Water since my management was able to convince Pinksweats to come out to Atlanta so I could record my parts of the song. I was waiting in the studio with one of his producers and Sabrina, my manager for Pinksweats, to arrive. I am not going to lie. I wanted to match his aesthetic, so I chose a modest pink outfit that was not my style.

I was excited and still so nervous to meet him because what if our vibes didn't align?

"Hey, everyone. Sorry, I got held up at this breakfast place. The food down here is really good," Pinksweats said, walking through the door. It was quite the entrance, but he seemed so genuine. I can't blame the man for being late either, because when I first tried the food here, it was hard not wanting to stay a little longer.

"You must be lovely, Naya," Pinksweat said, walking towards me, so I stood up to greet him.

"I don't know if everyone would describe me as lovely, but yes, I am Naya," I joked about his little compliment.

"Pfft, if that's so, then they are jealous," Pinksweats responded.

"So, Pinksweats, what do you feel comfortable with me calling you?" I asked, curious if people he works with call him Pinksweats or if he goes by specific pronouns.

"People who have met me personally, I let them call me "P.S." or "pinkie." My pronouns are he/him, though," Pinksweats informed me.

"Those are cute nicknames, but I'll call you P.S. It's like you have a spy alias," I told him, giggling.

"What would be your nickname?" asked P.S.

"Easy, the veiled fairy." I smiled, thinking about the origin of my nickname.

"Do I want to know?" asked P.S., looking slightly confused.

"Nope," I responded.

We began working on the song, and I was truly so impressed with how angelic P.S.'s voice sounded live. Now he's an underappreciated talent in the music industry. The recording session went well, and we were able to write my verses to the song together. We had to meet up on Saturday morning to get the actual recording done. But at least I know that, like Pinksweats as a person, especially in the music industry, a lot doesn't feel genuine anymore. I arrived home earlier than usual to see Josey and Stephanie working on his math homework in the living room. I didn't interrupt and just headed to the kitchen to begin making some dinner. I am always grateful that I have such good help when it comes to raising Josey, but sometimes I feel guilty when I am working. Dinner was almost done when Stephanie came into the kitchen, looking concerned.

"Steph, what's up? You are making me nervous." I asked, reading her body language.

"I think Josey is feeling a little neglected," Stephanie whispered to me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, panicking that something like this would arise with me being more busy right now.

"Joesy has been seeming a little sad the past few days, and when I asked, he told me that you're really busy, so he upset you that you two don't get to see each other as much. I think you also know he hasn't seen Ryan since the new year, so..." Stephine stopped talking as I just stared over at Josey.

"Thanks, Steph. I'll talk to him," I said, swallowing the lump in my throat as she headed out.

I have been so consumed with work and my stupid love life that I didn't even notice Josey. As Josey was finished eating dinner, I decided to ask about what Steph mentioned.

"Munchkin, you know you can talk to me about anything," I said as Josey handed me his dirty plate.

"Yes, mommy," Josey said.

"Is there anything you want to talk about?" I asked, hoping that Josey would open up to me.

"No, I have nothing to talk about," Josey assured me.

"Okay, then go get cleaned up for bed. I will be there to tuck you in," I said, trying to hold back the tears in my eyes. As soon as Josey's door closed, I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. This is all my fault... I felt sick to my stomach. My stupid accident happened, so I don't even sleep with Josey anymore because I'm so afraid I'm going to have a night terror and damage him. I wiped my tears quickly and knocked on Josey's bedroom door.

"Come in," I heard, and I opened it to see my son under the covers.

"Jojo, I was thinking since all your homework is done. Tomorrow, if you want to come to the recording studio with me, we could do whatever you want after?" I asked as I sat down on his bed.

"Okay, that sounds like fun," Josey agreed, but he still wasn't my enthusiastic boy, I know.

"Which book do you want me to read to you tonight?" I asked, getting up to go to his nightstand".

"How Dinosaurs Say Good Night by Jane," Josey answered.

"My goodness, you remember the author's name. You are the smartest kid I know," I said, sitting back down and beginning to read to him. I was only on the fifth page when I started to hear Josey's little snore. I went to my bedroom and called Ryan because if our son feels neglected, then things need to be adjusted.

"Hi," I said.

"Hey, what do you need?" Ryan asked, being a condescending douche.

"Not now, Ryan. Something is up with Josey," I said.

"What do you mean?" I spoke to him earlier; he seemed fine," Ryan replied.

"Steph told me that Josey might be feeling neglected, and I don't know what to do. I'm spending the day with him tomorrow, but maybe you could come for a few weeks." I cried into the phone, having no control over my emotions.

"Naya. Naya. Just breathe. Give me like a week and try to arrange some stuff with my mother, and I'll be there," Ryan said, trying to get me to calm down.

"I got so distracted, and everything seemed fine. How could I have not noticed?" I whispered over the phone, my voice still shaking.

"You are a fantastic mother, Naya. We'll figure things out," said Ryan.

"Get some rest, Naya. "Night," Ryan said, breaking the silence between us.

"Night," I replied, hanging up the phone.

Josey is my everything. All I do and work so hard for is to make sure he has a good life and future. What am I going to tell Sean, because this comes first before introducing him to Josey?