Chapter 2

My first refuge was Joanna's office

My first refuge was Joanna's office. I arrived with a grimace, not only having to feign some discomfort from the serum but also feeling sad because my result wasn't what I expected. Furthermore, my father would force me to tell him the result.

"Hi, Grace. So soon?" Joanna welcomed me with open arms. I returned the hug, and she took my hands. "What's wrong?" she raised an eyebrow.

I shrugged, trying to find the right words. She practically took on the role of a mother most of the time, and I couldn't lie to her, but Raphael was clear: he didn't want to die.

"The serum made me feel sick, so they sent me home," I sighed.

"Did you finish the test?" she asked, with some concern.

I nodded with a faint smile. I should be an actress; I'm so good at pretending.

"Come on, let's have some tea," she encouraged, ushering me into her office.

***********************

After sharing a calm conversation, we let the silence envelop us, enjoying it as the breeze from the window brushed against our faces while we finished the delicious chamomile tea.

Those are the moments you want to freeze, to keep them alive, and you hope they never end. Moments that make you reflect on your decisions, on your past, on how you suffered and how you laughed. I never imagined I would be one of the people who couldn't fit into the faction system. I never thought my result would be more than one, and although I always had the feeling that I wouldn't fit into this system, the fear doubles because I had the idea of being abandoned. Now, the situation has transformed. I have four factions to choose from, and I have to choose wisely if I want to keep living, otherwise, the government will kill me for not obeying its rules.

"I'm going to miss you, Grace," Joanna spoke, interrupting my thoughts.

I frowned, confused. "What do you mean?" I asked, still not understanding what she was referring to.

Her smile was warm, one of those smiles that knew more than they said, and I was okay with that.

"I don't know what your result was in the test, and I don't need to know because no matter what it was, you don't plan to stay here. You'll leave once Marcus calls your name, I know it," she nodded, placing the cup on the table.

I looked away. I always said I would leave as soon as I had the chance, that I would leave Cordiality with a smile because I would never come back. I was happy to leave this faction and never see my father's face again, but I hadn't realized that this also included Joanna. I don't want to stop seeing her; she's the only one I like, and I can even say that I love her.

I quickly wiped away a tear. I can't cry.

"Joanna, I..." I let the words hang in the air, my voice catching.