Chapter 1

"We are fortunate to live here

"We are fortunate to live here."
"We are fortunate to have a functional system, and we must maintain it as such."
"Ingratitude has no place here."

I may indeed be ungrateful, perhaps I don't merit what amity provides, and maybe I don't belong here. I lack the answers I seek, but one thing is certain: the system is corrupt and foul. Tomorrow marks my aptitude test, and one thing I am sure of is that I won't remain in amity. I refuse to endure another moment with the man who claims to be my father and the hollow peace, happiness, and harmony that the faction offers.

I don't know where I belong. Joanna told me to trust the test, that it will guide me to where I need to be, and no matter where I go, I must give my utmost effort to stay. I don't want to be an outcast, I don't want to be factionless, but I also don't want to be where I grew up.

I finished my work, fed and brushed the horses. Every week, amity collects corn, fruits, and vegetables, and takes them to the other factions.
It took some time, but I succeeded in persuading Edgar to accept me as his co-pilot. I realized that if he refused, I would be placed on the cargo truck without anyone being aware. Now, I'm here, loading multiple sacks to demonstrate my willingness to assist. Our journey took us to Abnegation, where laughter filled the air. From a distance, it's evident that these two factions share a harmonious relationship; there's no animosity. While one strives to aid others, the other extends wishes for happiness.

"Be happy," I said with a smile as I handed a sack of carrots to a man from Abnegation. He smiled warmly and took the sack. "Be careful, it's heavy," I warned.

"Don't worry, thank you," he said as he took it and went to put it in the storage room. I smiled and ran for another sack that was less heavy.

I headed in the same direction the man had gone, distancing myself from the crowd as I left the sack in its place. While glancing in various directions, I gradually moved further away until I completely exited Abnegation.

I sighed, setting aside my nervousness now that the danger had passed. I continued walking in the opposite direction from where Edgar was, carrying a light backpack with a water bottle, just in case I got thirsty. Escaping wasn't so difficult, especially returning. The challenging part was the walk, as amity was located on the outskirts of the wall.

Despite my faction literally living with nature, I feel overwhelmed, suffocated, and prefer to go out to the center of the factions. Just walking around the place and sitting on a bench was enough to feel calm.

Tomorrow marks my aptitude test, the day when I'll learn where I truly belong, where my home will be. I can't deny feeling fearful. Amity isn't where I want to be, and Abnegation isn't my fit either. Given my tendency to lie, Candor wouldn't be a good choice either.

I consider Erudite to be for the brainy ones, but a dedication to knowledge isn't my main focus. Dauntless might be where I find solace, despite physical fitness not being my forte. Running and freedom appeal to me, yet my lack of bravery is what hinders me.

I fear being abandoned, not belonging to any faction, and being treated disrespectfully. Although I suppose I could cross the fence; I tend to be elusive, no one would see me leave, and I would never return. There must be something more beyond this. I kept walking and found a bench near a large tree. I approached and decided to sit down, watching people pass by as I tried to find a solution for the next day.

I would have liked to meet my mother, have a brother or a sister, maybe even have had a different father. Perhaps, just perhaps, I would have stayed in Amity.

In the distance, Edgar's tired footsteps became audible, searching desperately in all directions until he collided with me and stopped, dropping his shoulders. They had found me.

I sighed melancholically, looking at him with a grimace, knowing that I could no longer escape. Resignedly, I stood up and walked towards him.

**************************

How can I explain what just happened?

I truly have no words. I'm still disoriented, and the man still had me against the glass of the room. I could feel the gun against my head while sensing a slight tremor in his other hand gripping my neck.

I went to take the test. After hours of waiting, it was finally my turn. I entered a room with a chair and a monitor. A dark-haired man with blue eyes was typing. His name is Raphael. He explained the procedure to me, and I took the serum and underwent the test.

I woke up in a state of agitation, and Raphael grabbed my arm, slamming me against the wall as he talked about the supervisor arriving soon.

"What the heck is going on?" I asked with difficulty, as my mouth against the glass prevented me from speaking clearly.

"Your result was inconclusive," he replied, puzzled.

"Inconclusive? What are you talking about?" I asked, desperate. "Just let me go," I pleaded, frightened.

"I didn't volunteer for this," he muttered angrily. "And you don't even know what I'm talking about," he relaxed his grip.

"No," I denied. "I came for the test, they were going to tell me which faction I belonged to. I arrived, took the stupid serum, and when I woke up, you were furious." I explained desperately.

He sighed, indecisive. I could see from the mirror how he looked down, unsure of what to do. I whispered a "please." and he looked up. Slowly, he let go, and I was able to turn around to face him.

"What do you mean by inconclusive?" I asked calmly, with my hands raised in a gesture of peace.

"You're eligible for Erudite, Abnegation, Amity, and Dauntless," he responded. "They're known as Divergent," he stated, putting away the weapon. "Individuals like you are rare. They don't conform to the faction system, which is why they hunt and kill them," he explained, with the deepest and most intimidating voice I had ever heard in my 16 years. "I thought they were a legend. This is the first time I've encountered one."

I opened my eyes even wider. "Are you going to turn me in?" I whispered, taking a step back and bumping into the mirror.

He sighed in desperation, rubbing his hands over his face. He quickly walked to the monitor, began typing on his keyboard, and finished. Then, he turned around and took me by the arm, leading me toward the door.

"You'll say the serum made you sick and I sent you home. Go out by the back door," he instructed, gripping the handle to open it, but I stopped him.

"No, wait. What am I supposed to choose?" I exclaimed, frightened. "I can't just go and say that I'm Divergent."

"Your result for the others is Amity because that's what I wrote down. You'll have to leave it to chance, and don't tell anyone. Listen to me carefully, Grace. Don't tell anyone," he said, getting closer as he emphasized the word "anyone."

I nodded.

"Thank you," I whispered, and he led me out the door.