Chapter 23

I sighed, looking up

I sighed, looking up. I was about to finish the ninth stack, but I couldn't stop sneezing. The dust was worse as I approached the corner, where there was a thicker layer of dirt than on the files.

Out of nine stacks, only six people were still alive, and I was getting fed up. I was on the verge of throwing everything away, but Freya might be able to confirm that I did it right, and I didn't want to mess up.

I tried to finish my exercises normally. Genesis never showed up, and Andrea told us that Jade was in the infirmary. Four took charge of everything and had us practice in pairs, doing defensive techniques and judo, where we subdued each other using our strength. Tiana and I were partners, while Ian and Jim were another pair. All of this was aimed at Andrea being left with Four, something we achieved since Jade was absent, leaving us with an odd number.

The guard from Dauntless approached
Four after the hand-to-hand combat session and the 10-minute break. Four had instructed me to talk to the guard and had given authorization for me to follow him. He was a dark-skinned man with a piercing on his lower lip, and as soon as I saw him, I remembered his presence. He was the guy who drove the van and stayed chatting with Eric.

The man stood upright, and although I tried to ask him questions, he didn't budge, so I opted to stay silent and follow him. I noticed he was taking me to the records room, and indeed he did.

"Eric can't come. He strictly asked me to leave you here. He said you're to finish your punishment and are exempt from weapons today."

"Wait, why?"

"He was very strict in his words, so much so that he could cut my throat if I tell you more," he shrugged.

"He doesn't need to know, I just want to know why I'll miss weapons training to finish this."

"I don't know, I'm just doing my job of bringing Eric's future girl to her punishment, I suppose to clear your record," he smirked and left.

Since then, his words have been swirling in my head. "The future girl of Eric?" The man known as the "sadistic leader" has shown on more than one occasion that he has no feelings and uses women as it suits him. Even that man himself mocked it a few days ago. "You haven't even gotten rid of Genesis, and you already have another." to which Eric claimed I was nobody and that it was just part of a punishment.

My mind is a whirlwind of emotions. I don't exactly know what's going on, and I don't know how to take the situation. For at least 3 hours, I've been thinking about Eric, only to realize that all I've been doing is thinking about him. I completely forgot that Norman visited me and slapped me in the Dauntless facilities, forgot his words of warning, as it seems I was in danger, and forgot that he knew I was lying.

I sighed heavily, does he know I'm Divergent? What if he is too? It's possible, given his behavior. In Amity, he'll never be discovered because that faction is secure, and the other factions admire them, so they're not inclined to interfere. Abnegation is the one under scrutiny, as they've been known to shelter Divergents.