Chapter 9

The ticking of the clock seemed to echo in my ears, embedding itself in my mind in such a stressful way

The ticking of the clock seemed to echo in my ears, embedding itself in my mind in such a stressful way. No matter how many times I tossed and turned on the uncomfortable, rigid bed, I couldn't fall asleep again.

I glanced at the square clock hanging halfway across the room. I'd been staring at it for an hour now, scrutinizing it so closely that I noticed a slight tilt, no more than two centimeters. It was becoming such a nuisance that I was tempted to shove Roy off the bed to climb up and adjust it, hoping that maybe I'd be fortunate enough to sleep again.

It was 5 in the morning, and absolutely everyone was sound asleep. Some were snoring, making it even harder for me to sleep. I envied them—training exhaustion had knocked them out completely, especially since Freya's arrival in the room had delayed bedtime.

I sat up in bed quickly, had enough. I wasn't going to be able to sleep; that was a given. Come 6 in the evening, I'd be more than tired, and I'd sleep without any problem.

I got up and put on my black leather military boots, swiftly swapping my comfortable t-shirt for a tank top and a lightweight jacket. I tied my hair into a ponytail and grabbed my sun hat for when it would dawn.

Silently, I left the dormitories and headed to the training grounds. I put on my jacket and started jogging. My cap was lightweight, so I folded it and tucked it into the zipper of my jacket.

Norman's arrogant and vile upbringing style not only influenced my way of thinking or coping with situations but also affected my subconscious. It clung to reminding me of the bloodiest corrections that traumatized me in my dreams and made it difficult for me to sleep. I had grown accustomed to it.

Freya's conversation had triggered memories, and Norman continued to torment me in my mind, preventing me from sleeping peacefully.

And for the first time in Dauntless, I had experienced it, so I was determined to make the most of it. I needed physical conditioning and better control of my strength. It was 5 AM, and I had three hours to get ahead of my peers, clear my mind, and warm up my muscles. We all win.

I arrived at the training center, and the main lights were on. I approached the switch to turn on the other two lights to better illuminate the room. It was definitely cool, and I was grateful for bringing my jacket.

I began to jog around the room, keeping my gaze forward and regulating my breathing solely through my nose to avoid abdominal pain, my focus set firmly on my goal. Perhaps it was exaggerating to tell Eric about being first on the leaderboard and expressing my interest in the leadership position, but I couldn't deny it. Being at the top of the leaderboard and coming from Amity would be a surprise to everyone, earning me respect and even fear. That's what I want – to be seen as someone superior, not someone they can crush.

I picked up the pace, my muscles warmed up, and I had better control over them, so I took advantage to run faster. I simply didn't stop; I ran for over 30 minutes around a room approximately 100 by 90 meters. Sweat dripped continuously, but I didn't even stop to wipe it away. I wanted to push my body to the limit.