Chapter 22

"Your father is a jerk." Andrea remarked from the bench where she was sitting.

Yesterday was parent visitation day, and my friends had the best time since they arrived in Dauntless, talking non-stop about their anecdotes. Not to mention that yesterday Eric hugged me until I stopped crying. He had already left, but I still felt his arms around me, his masculine scent lingering in my clothes and nostrils. My mind completely forgot about my father's visit, pushing aside his warnings and his blow. Eric's embrace occupied my mind to the point where I couldn't stop thinking about my feelings for him.

The next day, Andrea and Tiana didn't leave my side, offering me overwhelming support and not letting me go until I told them how I was feeling. Andrea was ready to ask Four to give me the day off, but I refused.

"Yeah, I know." I smiled, opening my water bottle and taking a sip.

"It's just... Ugh, you should report him. Let's go to the leader of Amity, we can file a complaint." Tiana suggested angrily.

"It's in the past now, Tiana."I shrugged. "I won't see him again."

I smiled without showing my teeth, trying to reassure her.

"Grace is right, the best thing we can do is support her." Jim spoke, putting his hand on Tiana's shoulder.

I stood in front of the three, who were sitting on the bench. They all glanced at the door, causing me to turn as well.

Genesis and Jade entered together, both lifting their chins with superiority. They looked at me with disdain as they entered, and I smiled with amusement as they walked past.

"Don't you ever get scared?" Ian approached, standing beside me. "Every time you get closer to the number one spot, you make more enemies."

I chuckled softly. Last night, the dark-haired guy approached me with a bruise ointment and a green apple. He apologized and offered his full support, something I appreciated. I also apologized to him, as I had shown indifference, waiting for him to initiate conversation.

"Actually, no." I shrugged.

"Genesis has access to your ranking," the dark-haired guy reminded me.

"The sadistic leader protects her, Ian." Jim chuckled.

"You've missed a lot." Andrea commented, with Tiana nodding in agreement.

"You guys need to fill me in." Ian suggested. "Are we fighting today?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Yes, they want both groups' lists ready. In week 5, the final fights will take place, and the rankings will be decided, concluding the first phase." Andrea responded.

"Excellent, I think I'll spar with Roy." Ian nodded with a smile.

"You're lucky, Grace already helped you with half of it. Just aim for his foot again." Jim shrugged with a smile.

Our small group chuckled at his comment.

"We're still missing fifteen. I'm going to warm up." I announced, taking a few steps back.

"Even Four or Eric haven't arrived yet." Tiana commented, looking confused.

"I have to knock Mike down a notch." I pointed at the leaderboard with a laugh.

Turning around, I headed to the warm-up area, approaching a metal beam and lying down, resting my feet on it. I would start with sit-ups, as many as my body could handle, and if I had time, I would continue with push-ups.

With my hands behind my head, I began to do sit-ups, one after another without stopping. Jade's figure appeared in my field of vision as she leaned against the beam with a smile.