Chapter 64

To see what everyone sees but ignores

To see what everyone sees but ignores. A quite subjective yet entirely true piece of advice.

Knowing that the father of the man I love is kidnapped and probably dead left me sleepless. I must have slept for at least 3 hours that night, unable to stop thinking about how to bring him back, as his mental health is important to me.

I had gotten used to Eric's snoring, he was lying on his back, emitting a grotesque but continuous sound from the depths of his throat. Even Horus had gotten used to it, as he was lying on Eric's chest, purring.

I couldn't stop thinking about the matter. It was 10 in the morning, and I had just ordered lunch for Eric from the cafeteria, along with an Americano coffee and a painkiller. Three real divergents were discovered through a serum, but it harmed them, and Jack Hang sent them to the hospital, precisely to the public one.

I frowned. "Who attended to the divergents? And what if it's there?

But it could have been anyone, an Abnegation, a Candor, a Dauntless, or even an Erudite. The Amity don't usually get involved in hospital activities because they have the burden of farming. It's likely an old Erudite, otherwise, they wouldn't know that Eric was from Erudite and who his father was.

"Do you always make faces when you're alone?" The snoring had stopped, but I hadn't noticed until Eric's dry, thick voice sounded.

I turned to look at him, he had terrible dark circles, was pale, and his eyes were red. Judging by the state of his voice, I could tell that he was about to get sick.

"Yes." I replied into the air.

I remember Freya left the hospital report for Max a long time ago, but I didn't hear anything else about it, or rather, I didn't give it much importance. I got up abruptly, ignoring Eric, who I saw picking up the cat with a furrowed brow.

"Don't you dare throw him, you said you wouldn't." I intervened.

He turned to look at me, shook his head, and left the cat where I was to grab the blanket and cover himself, turning around and leaning his weight on his shoulder.

"Can you turn off the sun?" he asked with a grumble.

"Don't bother." I frowned.

I walked over to the screen, connecting the record where I had stored everything; with my finger, I quickly scrolled through all the information I needed until I found the hospital report.

Derek West determined that the epileptic attack of the three was the result of an apparent overdose.

Derek... Son of....

Several knocks on the door startled me. I left the screen on the table and trotted to the bed, quickly grabbing my pajama shorts to put them on. I walked to the door and opened it. It was a Dauntless with a tray.