Chapter 17

"Thank you

"Thank you." I whispered, stealing a quick glance at Eric.

We were halfway through the journey, we got out without saying another word, and got into the truck. Eric's expression returned to being unfriendly while I remained immersed in my thoughts, my mind replaying the incident. How Norman lost control and was willing to hit me again; the difference being that this time Eric was there, and he prevented it.

My mind was a whirlwind; I froze, my instinct was to run and hide. Truth be told, I didn't know if I could do anything; I'm still in the early stages to take control of my actions. And not only that, it was how Eric defended me. The feelings I once dismissed want to resurface, but my rational side refuses.

"Mmhm." was all he managed to utter from his throat.

I smiled, nodding as I watched the road on my right side. And that's why my rational side refuses to acknowledge those feelings.

"So you left Amity because of that? Despite your results." he asked without turning to look at me.

I raised an eyebrow, looking at him still confused. "Did you see my results?" I asked with a lump in my throat.

He turned to look at me and nodded. "If you wanted the leadership position, I wanted to make sure of your result and your performance."

"For everyone else, your result was Amity, because that's what I wrote down." Raphael's words made me sigh internally.

For a moment, I forgot I was divergent; for a moment, I forgot I was in the presence of someone who hunted divergents.

"I left because I didn't plan on enduring it for another day." I shrugged. He nodded silently, knowing it was a topic I didn't want to discuss and he didn't plan on asking about.

"I guess you were disappointed when you saw Amity in the results." I changed the subject with a chuckle.

He also chuckled. "Yes, although for the first time, I can say that someone managed to surprise me; you're showing to be in Dauntless."

I smiled from ear to ear, nodding as I watched the sun set. "I just need to stay in first place," I shrugged.

"You need to fight with Hall," he commented with amusement, knowing that if I lost to Roy, what could I expect from Hall.

"What worries me the most is Genesis." I remembered the blonde from earlier.

"Why? Do you think she'll throw you into the chasm?" he asked with a mocking laugh.

"I don't know if you remember, but you humiliated her in front of me a few hours ago, and I ended up going to Amity, not her." I recalled, closing my eyes briefly. "It's very likely that she'll misinterpret things. It's just a matter of time before I end up in the chasm."

"Why the chasm?" he smiled playfully.

"Maybe she'll torment me starting tomorrow, there will be mistreatment and even punches, and when I least expect it, she'll push me into the chasm." I shrugged.