Chapter 32

I could feel the tension emanating from my jaw to the point of causing me great discomfort. I perfectly disguised my distressed and frightened look with a completely expressionless face as I entered the well-known training room with Tiana by my side, who insisted on reproaching me for my absence in the pit and how Ian seemed sad, and Raphael asked her to give me a message. "Tell her to come after the fight, I need to talk to her."

Ian simply looked at me with a sad grimace since we got up from bed and went to breakfast. Even Jim expressed his opinion, agreeing with the redhead that I had no emotional responsibility, as they counted on my assistance because I had promised it. The only sincere thing I could do was explain to them that the stitches had burst and that I was very sorry; as expected, they were not satisfied with that, except for Andrea, who knew how important this day was for me.

As I entered, most of them were warming up. Max, Freya, and Eric were near the ring, talking calmly as if this day were the most common thing, while I was a bundle of nerves. Tiana's arm was wrapped around mine, so it was easy for her to drag me into the group of friends who hate me.

"Hey guys, we're here. Fill us in," Tiana spoke calmly as she joined Jim to hug him.

"Andrea's admirer said they'll have a surprise for those who make it past the first cut, then Tori and Raphael are giving us free rounds at the bar again," Ian summarized with a smile.

I noticed that the water bottles were very close to us, so I approached without committing to the conversation, grabbed one, and opened it as I approached them again.

"I'm in," the redhead hurriedly agreed with a smile.

"Me too," Andrea nodded.

"No need to ask, bro, I'll go." Jim scoffed with a smile.

Ian nodded enthusiastically. "I won't ask you, I know your answer." he turned to me with suspicion.

I rolled my eyes, tired of the situation. "Am I the only one who cares about this day? The first stage is the most important; you should understand that."

"No, you should understand the importance of a promise. You're so blinded by leadership that you don't realize you're hurting yourself and us," Ian retorted, annoyed. "I don't even gain anything by reproaching you; it's a waste of time to expect anything from you."

"Ian," Andrea scolded, surprised.

I hardened my expression, furrowing my brow slightly as I approached him. "It's your problem for having such high expectations of me. I'm only seeking the leadership position, and your stupid and irresponsible antics won't ruin it for me over a simple and crude promise," I spat out emotionlessly, not holding back at all, letting all the venom out of my mouth. I could see surprise and disappointment in his eyes; he didn't expect such a response.

"Grace," Andrea intervened again, scolding.

"Don't you see it yet? Eric is changing you, manipulating you at his whim, destroying the Grace I grew fond of," he shook his head, squinting.

"Don't confuse things, don't try to categorize me. There are many things you don't understand, and I won't bother explaining them to you," my displeased expression was evident. I was so upset that I cared little about hurting a friend's feelings.

I walked past him, bumping into his shoulder without care, making my way to the exercise center to warm up and release the knot in my throat that was growing mercilessly.

****************************

His gaze was intense, filled with sadistic amusement, composed of irony, seeing me as a mere cockroach ready to be crushed. He winked at me as we stepped into the ring once Four named him and then me to fight.