Chapter 56

An hour had passed, and I moved away from Eric, Hill, and Ronald's view, heading to the gaming section and approaching the card game

An hour had passed, and I moved away from Eric, Hill, and Ronald's view, heading to the gaming section and approaching the card game. I watched the place while the waiter brought me whiskey on the rocks.

They had brought me a small cake, a serenade, and sung "Las Mañanitas"; Hall, Mike, and Dean were the only ones who had attended and congratulated me, then each enjoyed in a different section.

I had watched two rounds. They were playing poker, three players with five cards each. In the first round, a Dauntless had won with two pairs of queens, and in this last one, he himself won with a straight flush, shouting a full house.

"This is ridiculous." a Dauntless exclaimed, getting up from the seat.

"Come on, Gareth." laughed the guy dealing the cards. "It's all about cunning."

"I've wasted all my money, I'm out." Gareth said, leaving his cards exposed as he walked away.

The other two looked at their cards and Gareth's exposed ones, revealing their hands to each other.

"Should we tell him he was going to win?" one of them asked.

"Nah, he's an idiot." the other replied.

They handed their cards to the guy dealing as he began shuffling, presumably for another round.

"Only two?" the dark-haired man who had insulted the guy who left glanced at me cautiously, squinting.

"No, I'll invite the girl who's been here for a while to join us." he smiled, running his thumb over his lips.

I blushed, earning stares from everyone.

"Do you know how to play?" the brunette who was standing in front of the others with the cards in hand asked.

"I actually don't know how to play," I replied.

"You've been watching us for two rounds," the dark-haired man shrugged. "My name is Thomas, and I invite you to a game with us, of course, if you're not scared."

I raised an eyebrow, looking at him, and chuckled, shaking my head. I didn't plan on coming across as a coward in front of them, so I walked over to the chair in front of Thomas.

"It's simple, five cards, you can exchange from 1 to 4 cards, and you have 2 chances to do so. I'll deal them to you. Here's the hierarchy of hands, with the royal flush being the highest, that's the winner," the brunette explained.

Below him was a chart from highest to lowest:

Royal Flush.
Straight Flush.
Four of a Kind.
Full House.
Flush.
Straight.
Three of a Kind.
Two Pair.
One Pair.
High Card.

Rebuffing my inability to understand some things, I refused to accept that I didn't comprehend everything. What on earth was a full house? A four of a kind? But I was already seated across from a man who looked at me with victory, knowing he could defeat me.