Chapter 57

I stepped out of the shower with a strange feeling, wrapped in a towel. I approached the window and drew the curtains of my room wide open. My skin tingled just from seeing the dark clouds and hearing the thunder.

I woke up naked in Eric's bed, alone. There was no note or message on my phone. It was odd for him because he never leaves without us both going out the door at the same time.

He left his room very early, and all I could do was change and go back to my room to feed Horus and take a shower.

I didn't want to get worked up, even though he shared a fraction of his traumatic childhood with me yesterday, and he might be feeling vulnerable. I wasn't going to allow myself to feel bad. I need to put Hill's advice into practice and wait.

I put on a typical pair of black stretch pants with a spaghetti-strap blouse and Eric's sweater, which was now mine. I slipped on my black boots and flopped onto the bed, taking my brush and running it through my hair to detangle it.

Horus didn't take long to arrive, jumping up and trying to attack my hair, which seemed to be his new fascination. I smiled and set the brush aside to play with Horus, grabbing one of his toys—a stick with several colorful feathers attached to a cord.

My cat was the only one oblivious to the situation, oblivious to the tightness in my chest.

  ******************************************

I grabbed my tray and served myself a plate of food with regular portions. Breakfast was already served, and I was late; by the time I entered the cafeteria to serve myself, half of the people had already finished or left.

"The leaders usually eat upstairs." Ronald approached me with a smile.

I looked up, exhaling in frustration. Doesn't he ever get tired?

"I'll never get used to seeing a Dauntless serving me food and watching me eat, waiting for my orders." I frowned, setting down the ladle and picking up a utensil. "My abusive father was strict enough to teach me to serve myself, to my liking, portion, and manner. I prefer to serve myself."

He chuckled softly.

"Abusive father?" he raised an eyebrow. "That explains a lot."

"Yes." I smiled without showing my teeth. "I'm heading to a table; do you want to join me?"

"Of course." he smiled.

I walked to the nearest, loneliest table while Ronald took a seat across from me, pressing his lips together and looking around.

"It's been years since I sat here." he smiled. "It's like remembering the past. I used to sit at the next table, close to the desserts."

I chuckled softly as I took a bite of my food.

Today he was clean-shaven, completely removing his beard, revealing his well-defined chin and jawline. He turned to look at me, and for the first time, I noticed his hazel eyes with hints of honey and his bright smile. He looked somewhat older, at least in his 40s, but I couldn't help but think that without the beard, he looked very attractive.

"Now I suppose any dessert you desire up there will be fulfilled without any problems."I commented with a smile.

"Clearly." he smiled. "That's why I stopped coming here."

"And what brings you here so early? You don't usually leave Shira at this hour."

"Shira isn't here; she had to go out and won't be back until tomorrow." he crossed his arms. "Can't I just be with you and enjoy this day?"