Chapter 34

My displeasure was very evident, so much so that Eric had noticed it and laughed at it, enjoying how Jade constantly swatted at the mosquitoes biting her and couldn't stand it

We reached the end of the track, near the barrier, and jumped to turn off the lights hanging from our necks. The members Eric had chosen after me had already formed a circle while discussing a good way to win. As for me, my steps were shorter and slower as I looked around, a lot of trees and the barrier on the other side.

"If I didn't know you, I'd say you're very slow to walk." Eric spoke ironically, walking behind me.

I smiled, giving him a glance as I shook my head. "I don't know why you picked her." I scoffed.

"The uptight one went ahead, she was the only one left." he explained.

It was actually funny to see Eric and Four choosing us, leaving Elena and Jade for last. The brunette went ahead and chose Elena, while the other had no choice but to pick the dark-haired girl.

"You should have thrown her off the cliff."I suggested.

He chuckled. "I wasn't the one who helped her." he recalled.

"Don't remind me, that bitch complained to me afterwards." I rolled my eyes.

We approached the group of people already annoyed because they couldn't agree on anything. I looked at everyone with an impassive gaze, analyzing the few I knew and concluding that Eric had gone for brute force rather than intelligence. Hall was there, Roy, Stefan, Dona, Henry, and several others I didn't recognize, but they all had something in common—they were bulky, tall, and there were few women. Should I be offended?

Four had all my friends, while Eric didn't even bother to choose Tiana, who was my first friend, and just focused on picking those big guys.

"This is our flag," Eric said, pulling out a shiny, illuminated green blanket that left me totally mesmerized.

"Ideas?" he raised an eyebrow.

"We need to hide the flag well." Dona shrugged.

"Can we bury it?" Jean asked.

"Let's use the offensive strategy. We wouldn't have to worry about hiding it, we'll send a team to their area to search for their flag," Roy suggested.

"That would be a waste of time. I suggest two groups, defense and offense. We hide our flag in a tree." Hall intervened.

I turned around, looking at the imposing barrier, smiling as I remembered how I used to cross it without being discovered by any Dauntless or Amity member. I raised an eyebrow; I think I have an idea.

"A tree is dangerous." I raised my voice, turning towards them to get their attention. "We need to find something high, very high."

"What do you mean?" Eric asked.