Chapter 24

"Are you not going to eat?" Her sweet voice echoed through the room

I hadn't noticed the door had been opened; her voice brought me back from my thoughts, and her red hair came to mind. Distracted and still out of sorts, I turned towards the door, seeing Tiana leaning against it.

I didn't show any expression; my features were weighed down by the heaviness in my eyes.

"I questioned Four and managed to get him to tell me where you were. I didn't know, but he gave me this place as option number two, so, friend, I walked a lot." she said, smiling without showing her teeth.

"I'm not hungry," I responded to her question disinterestedly.

Today's training had been normal; this time, I completed it all, except that at the end, we were taken to another room to throw knives. Once again, Genesis didn't show up. Eric was there, but we didn't talk; the only time I heard his voice was to insult Elena because her throw had been awful. He made her stand at the target while Four threw knives at her.

For my part, my throwing was good; the first ones were awful, but I improved, and the rest hit the target. I managed to master it.

After finishing, we were sent to rest. I managed to leave without anyone noticing my existence and continued down a path I didn't know. At first glance, I spotted an old display case in the distance. The difference in color on the floor indicated there had been furniture in it, as the surrounding area was duller. My curiosity compelled me to walk toward the display case and open it. At the bottom, there were several framed photos and a few trophies. I evaluated each one, and one large photo caught my attention.

They say curiosity killed the cat, and I've always been of the idea that at least it died knowing. However, this time I would have preferred not to know because all it will do is make me investigate further.

My father was in that photo, his smile was enormous; I had never seen him smile. Beside him were several people, including Jeanine in her Erudite clothes; she was shaking hands with him, and next to them was a hologram with the symbol of the factions. It all turned out to be an enigma, especially if Freya was on the edge with a smile.

Left that place quickly, my mind became a whirlwind of emotions, and I stored everything in the file room. I had three piles of files left, and I did everything while thinking about my father's smile, questioning why he was holding hands with Jeanine. The photo gave the impression of celebrating something; both Dauntless and Erudite were celebrating.

"Something's bothering you, Grace. You worry me," she made a grimace, closing the door behind her.

I wanted to tell her, I wanted her to know my problems so she could help me. A good piece of advice would be helpful, especially from an ex-Erudite, but the risk could be imminent.