Chapter 13

Seven days later

Seven days later...

1. Hall
2. Roy
3. Karl
4. Tiana.
5. Ian.
6. Elena.
7. Jade.
8. Grace.
9. Andrea.

***********

I grimaced at the leaderboard, furrowing my brow as I saw the unpleasant number 8 next to my name. I shifted my weight to one leg, crossing my arms.

After seven long days of intense training until literally losing consciousness, I finally hoped that Four would enter and start the second round of fights. I managed to psych myself up to the point where I would wake up at 5:30 a.m. and head to training.

I cared little for my friends' insistence as I didn't let go of the punching bag until yesterday when I lost consciousness for a couple of minutes after doing more sets than Four ordered, and not having taken water, I collapsed to the ground. I remember waking up on the mat with a wet face, the others had been sent running two laps around the Dauntless compound by the brown-haired man, with the serious and angry admonition. He wanted to bring Eric into the conversation, thinking I needed to channel my emotions, and that's why I tried to kill myself during the exercise.

As for Eric, now I was the one ignoring him. During these seven days, he was only present twice, and on those two occasions, only the first was filled with mocking comments, which I ignored, and on the second occasion, he did the same.

I want to forget that embarrassing incident; I just want to pretend it never happened.

A hand grabbed my shoulder, making me jump, snapping back to reality as I quickly turned around.

"It's very early, don't you think?" Andrea asked with a smile.

It was seven o'clock; I stopped training and stretching five minutes ago and started looking at the leaderboard, as usual.

I smiled without showing my teeth. "It became routine," I shrugged along with a sigh.

She nodded, lowering her hand. "Four told me there will be a new dynamic today. Eric spoke with Max, and they're changing the technique." she grimaced.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "I don't care about the new dynamic, I just want to level up."

"Why?" she asked.

"I want to be a leader." I shrugged.

"Being a leader isn't everything, Grace." she smiled without showing her teeth, taking my arm. "Let's sit down," she suggested.

I nodded, and we moved away from the leaderboard, walking a few meters until we reached the nearest bench. "You may be right, but the undeniable benefits it brings sound satisfying," I said.