26. Kuku~Juju

(Still Flashbacks)

As they entered Minju's shared room, the sound of the sobbing boy echoed through the space, tugging at their heartstrings. Minju clutched his teddy bear tightly, tears streaming down his face as he wailed, "No! I want my hyung!"

Jungkook observed the small boy with a mixture of sadness and longing. He yearned to approach Minju, to offer comfort and solace, but he sensed that the boy wouldn't be receptive to his presence at the moment.

Nayeon swiftly enveloped Minju in her arms, gently rubbing his back in an attempt to soothe him. "Minju, calm down, okay?" she whispered in a soothing tone.

Minju vehemently shook his head, his sobs intensifying. "No, I want to see my hyung!" he cried out, his pain evident in his hiccups. "He doesn't love me anymore. He left me," he choked out between sobs.

Nayeon tried to reassure him, "Your hyung was going to come-"

"No! He doesn't love me anymore!" Minju wailed, his cries filled with anguish.

Nayeon glanced around, her eyes searching for a solution. Spotting a cellphone nearby, an idea formed in her mind. "I'm going to call him, alright?" she suggested, hoping it would provide some comfort to Minju.

Minju didn't respond, simply turning his back to Nayeon and burying his face in his teddy bear, seeking solace in its presence.

With a sigh, Nayeon proceeded to dial a number - Jimin's number. However, her face fell as she looked at her phone screen. It couldn't connect. Has Jimin blocked her? she wondered. No, no. Jimin wouldn't do that. She nodded to herself, agreeing.

She tried again, and again, but to no avail. Frustration and concern etched onto her features as she glanced back at Minju, who continued to tremble and sob.

What could she possibly say to Minju now? Jimin's unreachability left her at a loss.

"Minju?" she called out softly, but Minju shook his head, signaling for her to stay silent. He knew that any further words would only break his heart further.

Nayeon sighed, her gaze filled with sadness as she looked at the distraught boy. She glanced up briefly, catching the nod of approval from the nun, signaling that she could handle the situation for now. Nayeon looked at Minju one more time before nodding back at the nun.

Jungkook pondered his next move, torn between comforting the little boy and seeking information from Nayeon about Minju's situation. However, realizing that Minju didn't know him, he suspected that any attempt at comfort would be brushed off by the grieving child. So, for now, he opted for the second option - gathering information.

He cast another glance at the tearful Minju, who hiccupped as the nun tried to console him. With a heavy heart, Jungkook followed Nayeon out of the room, his steps hesitant. He soon spotted Nayeon sitting on a bench, deep in thought.

Jungkook approached her cautiously, taking a seat beside her. "May I know why he was crying like that?" he asked softly, his voice filled with genuine concern.

Nayeon didn't look at him directly, her gaze fixed on a distant point. "He was attached to someone he treated like his hyung," she murmured sadly.

Jungkook nodded, his understanding evident even though Nayeon wasn't looking at him. "And?" he prompted, wanting to hear more.

Nayeon finally looked up, her eyes brimming with unshed tears. She struggled to compose herself before speaking. "He left," she replied, her voice laced with a mix of sadness and frustration.