34. Beauty

"Are you okay?" Jimin asked as they continued to walk along the sidewalk. The night air was cool, and the distant hum of the city created a comforting background noise.

Their date had been a whirlwind of laughter and stolen glances, a blissful escape from the weight of their troubles. For those precious hours, they had been lost in each other, the world shrinking to the space between them.

Now, the quiet of the night settled around them, and the unspoken questions lingered in the air. They had talked about the distance that had separated them, setting aside past issues. Jimin had playfully chided Jungkook for neglecting himself in the past few months, a teasing reminder of the time they had lost. Jungkook, in turn, had smiled, promising that wouldn't happen again.

Their conversation had naturally drifted to Minju, the small boy who had become a part of their lives.

Jimin had shared his plans to adopt Minju, a decision that filled Jungkook with a warmth that had been missing for so long.

He had told Jimin about the day he met Minju, the tears that streamed down the boy's face as he spoke of his missing hyung - a hyung who, Jimin realized with a pang of guilt, was him.

Jungkook, ever the reassuring presence, had gently squeezed Jimin's hand, reminding him that he had been there for Minju, a source of comfort during those difficult weeks.

When they left the restaurant, Jungkook asked if Jimin had a specific place in mind to visit next. Jimin shook his head and suggested they take a walk instead. Jungkook sensed that Jimin had something on his mind and nodded in agreement.

So here they were, walking on the sidewalk. Jungkook's hands were in his pockets, and Jimin walked slightly ahead, fidgeting with his fingers. The streetlights cast a soft glow, illuminating Jimin's features in a way that made Jungkook's heart ache with affection.

"I found out something," Jungkook said, his voice a low murmur as he gazed at the road ahead.

Jimin's brow furrowed with worry. "And what is it?"

Jungkook chuckled, a sound that was both strained and relieved. He sat down on a nearby bench, patting the space beside him, silently inviting Jimin to join him. Jimin obeyed, his gaze fixed on his lap.

"Earlier, I went back to my apartment," Jungkook began, his eyes scanning the passing cars and bicycles. The late hour meant the traffic was sparse, the occasional honk a distant echo in the night. "Jacob and... Nat- his mother were staying there. I saw the door was open, and I just went in. It's mine, after all," he added with a wry smile, the humor strained. "But I didn't expect Nathalie's friend to be there. They were fighting about something."

Jimin listened intently, his heart pounding in his chest.

Jungkook looked down at his lap, his voice trembling slightly. "I heard them... they..." he inhaled deeply, a shaky chuckle escaping his lips. "They used me," he mumbled, the shame evident in his voice. The realization that he had been so foolish, so blind to Nathalie's betrayal, was a bitter pill to swallow.

Jimin's eyes widened in shock. He had known Jungkook would eventually find out, but he hadn't expected it to be so soon. He reached out, his hand hesitantly resting on Jungkook's arm, a silent gesture of comfort. Words seemed to fail him, the weight of the situation pressing down on his chest.

"They used me like a toy," Jungkook continued, his voice cracking as he fought back tears. "They used Jacob to trap me."

Jimin frowned, his mind racing. Did Jungkook know about Jacob? Was he aware of the truth about their relationship? He hoped so. He longed for Jungkook to see the truth, to finally understand the depth of Nathalie's deception. "What about Jacob?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper.