22. N(eed)ew

"You should sleep now, Jimin," his mother gently reminded him, her voice filled with concern.

Jimin tore his gaze away from the laptop screen and turned to his mother, who stood before him with a glass of milk in her hand. "I'm totally fine, Mom," he assured her, forcing a smile before returning his attention to the task at hand. "And thanks for the milk."

They found themselves in Jimin's cozy apartment, seeking solace after the emotional breakdown Jimin had experienced on the hospital rooftop. He had concocted an excuse about having errands to attend to, avoiding returning to Jungkook's room for the time being. His mother understood the need for space and they made their exit, promising Mr. and Mrs. Jeon that they would return another day.

A sigh escaped his mother's lips as she placed the glass of milk delicately on the table, taking a seat in a nearby chair. Her eyes were fixed on Jimin, filled with a mix of love and worry. "I know you're not fine," she confessed softly, her voice laced with understanding.

Jimin halted his typing, his fingers hovering over the keyboard as he stared blankly at the screen. He didn't respond because deep down, he knew his mother was right.

"By the way, Mr. Jeon offered you the position of his secretary," his mother informed him, her voice tinged with curiosity. "He mentioned that Jungkook had fired the previous secretary for being a flirt."

Jimin nodded, his gaze still fixed on the laptop screen, avoiding his mother's penetrating gaze. "I know. Dad messaged me about it a few minutes ago," he admitted, his voice devoid of emotion. He could feel his mother's eyes on him, searching for his true feelings.

"And what's your decision?" his mother inquired, her curiosity piqued. She knew her son well enough to understand that he wouldn't easily decline such an opportunity, especially from Mr. Jeon.

"I declined," Jimin responded swiftly, without a second thought, surprising his mother.

His mother looked at him in shock, struggling to find her words. "Are you sure?" she managed to stutter out, her eyes wide with disbelief.

Jimin delicately picked up the glass of milk, taking a sip and relishing in its comforting taste. Once he finished, he placed it back on the table, meeting his mother's gaze with determination. "Yeah," he affirmed, his voice steady. "Actually, I've applied to another company," he confessed honestly. "I won't be able to move on completely if I'm constantly reminded of the time I spent with Jungkook, visiting him every day. I need a fresh start," he explained, a hint of sadness tugging at the corners of his lips as he offered his mother a bittersweet smile, hoping she would understand his decision.

His mother nodded, a mix of understanding and pride shining in her eyes. She knew Jimin would make the right choice, and she was glad to support him. "Then what are you doing?" she asked curiously, her gaze flickering towards the clock. It was already 1:30 am, and Jimin was still wide awake while Tae and Minju slept peacefully in the nearby bed.

Jimin smiled at her, his eyes returning to the laptop screen. "Just working on some paperwork for my new job," he replied, his voice filled with a newfound sense of excitement. "I actually received their response just now, confirming that I've been hired. But," he paused, his fingers gently massaging his chin as he contemplated the unexpected turn of events.

"But what?" his mother inquired, her curiosity piqued.

"They didn't hire me for the position I applied for. Instead, they hired me as the CEO's secretary," he revealed, a mixture of surprise and uncertainty evident in his voice.

His mother's eyes widened in disbelief. "How is that possible?" she asked, equally shocked by the unexpected twist.

"I don't know, Mom. So, tomorrow I'll go to their company to clarify the situation," Jimin replied, his gaze meeting his mother's as he offered her a reassuring smile. "But for now, you should get some sleep, Mom," he gently insisted, noticing how exhaustion weighed heavy on her.