35. Ring

The air hung heavy with unspoken words as Mr. and Mrs. Jeon exchanged hesitant glances across the dinner table.

The silence wasn't uncomfortable, more like a delicate dance of anticipation.  Mrs. Jeon, a woman of strong will, finally broke the spell, her eyes narrowing at her husband.

Mr. Jeon, sensing the pressure, cleared his throat, a nervous tremor running through his voice.

"How are you, Jimin?" he began, his gaze warm and concerned.

Jimin,  a gentle smile playing on his lips, lowered his fork and spoon. "I'm doing good, Dad," he replied, his voice soft. "How about you and Mom?"

The Jeon couple beamed at him, their faces radiating happiness. "We're fine, and so happy everything is going well for you," Mrs. Jeon exclaimed, her eyes twinkling with pride. She couldn't help but steal a glance at her son, who was beaming back at her, his own face alight with joy.

The table was set for a family gathering, a scene of warmth and togetherness.  Mrs. Jeon sat at the head, with Mr. Jeon beside her.

Across from them, Jimin and Jungkook sat side by side, their hands brushing occasionally beneath the table. 

Minju, a small bundle of energy, sat between Jungkook and Jin, his tiny hands working diligently to navigate his food.  Taehyung and Suga occupied the remaining seats.

"I heard you were planning to adopt Minju?" Mr. Jeon inquired, his voice laced with curiosity.

Jimin nodded, his gaze lingering on Minju. "Yes, Dad."

"What a good decision you made, look at him," Mr. Jeon said, his voice filled with affection.  All eyes turned to Minju, who was engrossed in his food, his cheeks puffed out like a chipmunk's.  "He's so cute, and it's amazing how much you two look alike, huh?" Mr. Jeon chuckled, his gaze flitting between Minju and Jimin.

Jimin chuckled, nodding in agreement. "Everyone says the same thing. They think Minju is my son or something."

Suga, ever the jokester, piped up, "Minju looks like Jimin and Jungkook's son," his words hanging in the air like a mischievous whisper.

Jungkook, startled, choked on his food, his eyes widening in alarm. 

Suga, sensing the sudden shift in the room, tilted his head in confusion. "Why?" he asked, his voice laced with innocent curiosity.

Taehyung, ever the peacemaker, massaged his temples, his eyes wide with exasperation. "Don't make the atmosphere awkward," he whispered, his voice barely audible.  He shot his boyfriend a warning glance, his eyes pleading for him to stop.

Suga, realizing his blunder, bowed his head sheepishly.  The tension in the room eased slightly, replaced by a wave of nervous laughter.

"But it's been three months since you settled his paperwork, I thought it would only take two?" Namjoon asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

Jimin's smile faltered, a shadow of sadness clouding his eyes. "That's right, hyung. I don't know why it's taking so long. One of the mothers at the orphanage said they were taking care of something first."

Jungkook, noticing the shift in Jimin's demeanor, reached out and squeezed his hand reassuringly. "Do you want to follow up about it tomorrow? I can accompany you," he offered, his voice soft and gentle.

Jimin shook his head, his gaze distant. "Maybe the other day?"

Jungkook, understanding his hesitation, nodded. "Okay, just message me if you need me."  He then turned his attention to Minju, who was watching him with wide, curious eyes.  "Is the food delicious?" he asked, his voice filled with warmth.