Chapter Six: The First Meet

SIX

_______

Noelle

If you thought I overslept so much during weekdays, you can imagine how my sleeping schedule was for the weekends most of my life.

Eyes burning and squinting at 8AM in the morning, I forced myself out of the bathroom into the living room; yawning and lazily, pushing my own body to walk properly.

"Hey, you're up surprisingly early! Whats the catch?" My mother called out in a laughing manner.

Rubbing my eyes to take notice of her presence, I let out a huff and took a hold of the car keys.

"Work."

"They got ya babysitting weekends too?! Wow, I should've hired this family a long time ago, eh!" She let out sarcastically, drinking off her Mickey Mouse coffee mug.

"Oh, mom. The Irish in you is coming out. You're hilarious!" I spoke in sarcasm back. "I'm adjusting to waking up early, though. Nothing new." I lied.

Waking up early was the worst thing that could ever happen to me. Yeah. I might sound dramatic saying that, but I've woken up at 6AM every single day for school since the moment I was 5 and I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

"Yeah, look at you!," My mom pointed at my appearance. "You can barely open yer' eyes, honey. Here, I'll drive you. We'll take my car." She suddenly motioned, dumping her morning mug onto the sink.

My eyes finally opened at her actions, "W-What, no it's fine. It's a half hour drive and to come back--"

"Oh, please. I'll rather take the drive than see my daughter risk herself on the roads half asleep. Did you know driving half asleep is almost as driving drunk? Yeah, no. Let's go." My mother ordered.

Not wanting to waste time to argue with her about the drive, I let out a sigh and came to an agreement.

"Okay...well, since I didn't have time to eat breakfast, can we pass by McDonalds on the way? I'm starving."

"Sure, why not."

"My, I'm so sorry about my late arrival. I thought it'll be a great idea to buy breakfast first, but I didn't measure my time and my mom dropped me off and-"

"No, no! Don't apologize at all. We are actually a little early in heading off. Greg is just testing the car out there, but I might as well go off then." Denise kindly smiled at me.

When I've had spotted her husband starting the car in the driveway seconds ago, I went pale with the thought that I was late as fuck if he had to be waiting out there, but luckily, I was wrong.

Be calm, Elle. Your timings are just all over the place.

I gulped and grew a nervous smile after my exaggerated apology.

"A-Alright, thanks. Uh, before you head out, Theo is allowed to eat McDonalds...right? Sorry, I should've asked-"

"What? No, don't be afraid. We aren't hard on our children about anything! If they want it, they can have it—Ooo, Greg seems like he's ready out there! I should get going. I'll see ya. Ring me if anything!" Denise waved.

In a matter of seconds, the couple had driven off, leaving me with a suffering eight-month old attempting to crawl in place on his play-mat in the open living room