Chapter Eighteen: A Man's Ego

EIGHTEEN

_______

Noelle

I woke up a few days with the worst cold of all time. Turns out, it wasn't really the burn that made me feel really tense and hot that one day; it was really just me getting the flu, I was just at the earliest stages. And now, I was on the last. I'm talking, high fever, cold shivers, vivid dreams and dry throat type of cold. It was the absolute worst.

I did feel bad having to call in on Greg and Denise three days in a row, but I wanted to avoid getting the children or the whole Horan bloodline sick, so I spent the beginning of the week drinking chamomile tea with honey and just taking naps until I felt better, which luckily, I did.

"Another day off? I thought you felt better?"

My mother entered the kitchen, spotting my entire body covered in layers of blankets while my hands rested in the hot tea mug in front of me.

Clearing my throat, I shrugged before beginning to speak.

"Y-Yeah. Just wanted to be 100% better. I still have a stiff throat. I'll for sure go in tomorrow though." I answered.

Honestly, I wasn't sure. Yeah, of course I have to babysit for the Horan's, it was practically my job, but I did feel off after the last time Niall left out of this apartment when I was asleep.

He never responded to any of my texts that next morning. To make it even worst, he had left me on seen, again, but I was beginning to get use to it. Well, who knows...what if I didn't actually fall asleep that day, maybe I began sleep-talking and said something out of the ordinary and scared him off? What if he regretted the entire event?

I was over-thinking at this point, but Niall Horan wasn't the main priority in my head at the moment. My main priority was to feel better, so I can actually go back to work without putting Greg and Denise's jobs at risk either for taking the days off for my absence.

"I'm leaving already. Do you need anything when I come back? I can make a quick stop at the pharmacy for more medicine-"

"No, it's alright, thanks. I might just take the day to relax again. Take a few more naps and watch movies before I go back tomorrow." I murmured.

It did feel weird going back to my unemployed routine that when I began watching Netflix and binging on snacks, it became kind of boring? It made me feel lonely and isolated. I hated being sick.

Niall

"Dude, you know I don't trust you on this, right?" Greg said in concern.

I rolled my eyes at my brother's worry and sighed,

"Listen, I don't really trust myself either, but it'll be just a few hours. Like Denise said, Finley isn't that fuzzy. M'sure he'll be distracted. Don't mind pretending to be a dad of two for the day." I adjusted my shades.

I was probably going to regret it big time. It wasn't really Niall of me to take care of kids, especially toddlers. I was never really a big fan of children, but after hearing that Elle was absent the last few days and Denise had to call off from work, I had to give out a hand.

Greg adjusted Finley's carrier in the back of my car seat and huffed as he came back to my view.

"Mom isn't going to be home until four. If you give up by four, just bring them to mom. Let her handle the rest." He pointed.