Chapter Fifteen: I Owe You Game

FIFTEEN

________

Noelle

"Hey! I know you!" The man next to Niall spoke to be in surprise.

I felt myself sinking into another dimension for a moment. My head throbbing and my entire body heating up, not knowing what to even say at this point. There was a 99.9% Niall was about to find out the truth and there was no running back or excuses.

"You guys know each other?" Niall laughed. And it wasn't a regular laugh, he was as confused, just like everyone else in the aisle.

It wasn't until the bearded man finally readjusted his cap from his head and revealed part of his face only wanting to mentally beat myself at the realization on why he was connected with Niall.

It was his relative, Deo Devine.

Surely, I would remember he was a close member of Niall Horan since they would both tweet or post photos together on the internet years back. Yet, for this time only, I couldn't figure him out until now.

From all people in Ireland. Seriously. It was unrealistic at this point.

"Yeah, we know each other—well, it's the girl from the gas today, forgot to tell ya mate! She was jamming out to yer' music-"

"Music. Yeah! Correct. N-Niall forced me to listen to his music the other day and learn the lyrics..." I excused my way in an exaggerated tone, cutting off Deo from telling the whole incident.

I was shaking. This could be either really bad or slide off easily if everything went smoothly; all depending on how Deo would respond to the story.

Deo looked at me confusedly, not knowing what the hell was going out of my mouth and gave an amused expression.

"Oh, really?" his eyes flickered from me to Niall before going along. "Wait, y-yeh. That makes total sense. Can you believe she also puts gas in her car with the engine on?!"

A small relief escaped me and I felt blessed to know that Deo gave the same energy back that I was signaling. I wasn't sure if he was aware he had just covered me up big-time, but regardless, he was most likely going to tell Niall afterwards; at least I wasn't going to be there by then.

Niall looked down at me, chuckling at Deo's bullying towards me.

"Huh, really? Not surprised. Americans, ya know?" he elbowed his cousin.

"Yeah, Americans." I faked laughed with them.

"So, how does it come to be that you both coincidentally know each other? Seems...unfamiliar?" Deo questioned in curiosity.

For once, I hated Deo for asking too many questions.

"Uh, she's Theo and Finley's babysitter. Well, the family babysitter, ya can say. Just met last week. This is Elle, my American friend." Niall introduced.

I rolled my eyes at his last words. "Funny."

"Oh, cool. Was there a freak show when you saw him?" Deo glanced at me, jokingly.

Again, I felt frozen in place at the questioning. I needed to remind myself that Deo had met me at my most vulnerable moment, I mean listening to Niall Horan at full volume and admitting I was a huge fan? He wanted answers.

I pursed my lips and took a deep breath, finally revealing myself. "I, well,—"

"Actually, quite opposite. Can you believe she didn't recognize me? Had no clue who I was. Must've been why you caught her listening to my music. Learning the lyrics, eh?" Niall teased at me.