Chapter Twenty-Eight: Proof Or Never Happened

TWENTY EIGHT

________

Niall

"This has to be joke."

I rubbed my temples. I was trying to process the information being given to me just two days after I landed in Los Angeles; it didn't even give me time to process the dreadful jetlag I had.

"It's just one event. That's all." Jack, my publicist manager directed.

"Jack, I told Tara to reassure to you that I ended the relationship a few days back. There was no need to keep forcing out the PR thing again. Did she tell you?" I huffed.

I've been so distracted in Ireland, spending my reality with Elle that when I turned back to check up on my actual job, things seemed way out of hand. I had to remind myself that I wasn't the normal person I was back home. I was a gadget over here.

"Yes, I did become aware of that, but you ended it earlier than expected. The year is about to end. This can finish it off and you can be a free man right after tonight. I promise you." Jack reassured.

I was being told to have one last sight with Hailee Steinfeld before the year ended. I guess the articles hadn't gotten much information since she left Ireland and with the new movie releasing soon, it needed attention.

I sighed trying to process the entire thing and leaned back on my seat.

"By January, the articles are going to say the relationship predictably ended in December. You will just have to get one last sight with each other, so the contract can wrap up and we can finally get you off their team. I'm doing my best for you right now, Horan." Jack said thickly.

I trusted my team. I knew that they wouldn't have been doing things like this unless it affected my reputation or my doings. All I had to do was to agree, complete the plan and then focus on what my career was really all about, music and writing.

"I know." I licked my lips. "Erm, and is she alright with this whole thing? I mean, it ended pretty badly. I'm not really sure if she wants to see my face. Nor do I want to see her's." I joked to him.

"Yes, Steinfeld is aware. She had her team handling it."

"Course' she did." I mocked. "And where is this taking place? I'm going to need a lot more insight if I'm going to be awkwardly reunited with my ex. This isn't really a fun thing to do, ya know?"

It wasn't a fun thing to do when I had my focus on someone else already.

I hadn't really spoken to Elle since she left my place two days ago. I thought that traveling back and focusing on my career was going to distract me, but it was all that crossed my mind now. If anything, my thoughts involving her just got worst. It haunted me with overthinking on what I could've possibly said to had made her leave and react that way.

"Detroit, Michigan. There's this huge charity event being hosted at Little Caesars Arena for the holiday. It involves these famous basketball players doing a game and several celebrities are going to be in the audience. Flight leaves in three hours."

"Oh, come on!" I moaned out in annoyance, "I'm just recovering from the bloody jetlag and ya got me hoping on another plane again?" I closed my eyes, leaning my head back.

"And so are the other celebrities being there! Stop being arrogant. You had your breaks, Horan. Plenty. Now, go get rest. We got a big event tonight."