Chapter Twenty-Three: Part One

TWENTY THREE Pt 1

Niall

You know, I never truly believed in fate, or the angels or anything in general. I didn't have time to really have hope for anything, since my head was always all over the place, but when I walked into that apartment tonight, it felt like I was seeing an angel in the middle of my living room.

Not literally, of course, but I've had such a long week and my head was pounding; it felt like her presence created peace for just a second.

"I, uh...did I miss something here? Are you trying to tell me something, Niall?" Hailee rose a brow at me after noticing Elle mid-living room.

Before my mouth can open, I can see Elle shaking her head, debunking any assumptions being made between us.

"Oh, no. No. I-I'm so sorry. I shouldn't be here. It's just that I was sent to drop off the meds before you guys arrived. I should've left along time ago. I'm leaving." Elle spoke, keeping her head down.

As Elle walked closer, I can notice the outfit she had been wearing for the night; a nice pattered white skirt, a little above her knees, a beige sweater with a Nike sign on it, topping it off with a coat for the cold.

I hadn't seen her in weeks. It was distracting me.

"Really? I thought your cousin was suppose to bring the meds? Isn't that what you said?" Hailee nudged at me.

"Y-Yeah, erm...I guess my brother did get the message, but never responded. S'alright, though. It's not a problem-"

"R-Right. Well, I should really go. I'm just going to get my phone. Again, I promise you, it's not what it looks like, I just got caught-"

"No, it's okay." Hailee faked smiled at her. "You can leave." She stepped outside, waiting for Elle to pass by.

I understood why Hailee would've acted that way. I mean, it did look odd at Elle's unexpected presence, but then again, there shouldn't have been a reason why there was so much coldness in her voice towards Elle.

"No, wait." I finally let out, Elle quickly grabbing her phone from the counter beside me. "I owe you for the meds-"

"What? No. It's fine. Don't worry about it. It's completely fine." Elle breathed.

Elle wasn't looking at me. Did I find it weird? Yes, I did, because I can sense she felt really bad and uncomfortable over me and Hailee looking at her on the spot, but Hailee didn't help a bit.

"Niall, I'm pretty sure she gets paid enough by your family. It will be on the check. Right?" Hailee huffed, looking over to Elle, still holding the door for her.