Chapter Twelve: Niall's Birthday

TWELVE
________

Noelle

It was September 13. Yeah, it must've been a regular for me like it has been the last few years, but this one was different again. It was Niall's birthday.

It was an energizing, nostalgic feeling to re-live this day. I even found myself re-activating Twitter just to see if he still trended this year like he's had the last decade, and luckily, he was—but, that also meant coming across very, disturbing, cringe, memory tweets from mine.

2015

@Ellis1993: @niallofficial hi babyysysy

@Ellis1993: we all know temporary fix is the sexiest song ;)

@Ellis1993: 1d breaking up is worst than all my breakups

I reddened at the old tweets and began to immediately delete them at every stop I could whilst I drove.

"For fucks sake, this is embarrassing," I told myself.

I needed to delete that Twitter. Forever.

Throwing the phone back onto the passenger seat, I pulled onto the Horan's neighborhood and took a small breath, bringing myself back to reality knowing that it's another day of working.

Yesterday felt surreal and I didn't even sleep last night from just thinking about it, so today felt really off and lazy. I was trying my best to stay and look awake as I walked down the doorsteps of the big home.

"Elle! Come in. You're just in time." Denise greeted at me. "It's just that Greg wanted—well, we wanted a quick word with you before we head out." She gestured at her husband.

I almost felt sick to my stomach at their words. I tried not to overthink the, 'we wanted a quick word with you' phrase, thinking that I must've done something wrong.

"Huh? Oh, yeah...w-what's up?" I adjusted my posture, hands feeling sweaty.

Greg adjusted his gray tie and smiled at my sight, "Morning, Elle! We just wanted to know if you can do us a quick favor, since we'll be working a short shift today. We can add to your allowance if—"

"Oh, no, don't worry about money. I'm a babysitter for a reason, I'm here for any favor." I laughed, excusing the pay more.

"Thank you! And erm, well, it's my brother's birthday today. I'm sure you go to know him pretty well yesterday." Greg laughed at the events, "And we were just wondering if you can head to the bakery to get him a cake. Mum had me in charge of the cake, but we lost track of time with work and she doesn't drive..."

Me in charge of getting a cake for Niall? That felt like so much responsibility for a second. All I thought about was what color? flavor? decorations?

"Of course. Is there any specific bakery or flavor?" I asked them.

"Freestyle it. We trust you. Theo can help pick it out." Greg suggested. "Also, you'll drop it off at their grandma's house which isn't far from Longford! You can drop off the kids there too and call it a day. You worked enough this week. Take the rest of the day off and head home." He smiled.

There was so much being told to me the last minute, I began losing track of what Greg was saying, but when he finished, I just took a small breath to try to remember everything at once.