Chapter 12 - Reconciliation

Gandalf was rushed in to the city of Lothorien by a band of elves. For days Avadis waited and waited, confined to a small bed chamber the Lady Galadriel had ordered be prepared for her, so that while she was effectively imprisoned there, she was taken care of all the same. Barely sleeping, she sat on the bed and looked out over the city. She was sure the elves knew she could very easily escape, but she understood this was a test of her trust and character more than an actual prison. Her mind stayed only with Gandalf. She had not heard of him since her meeting with Galadriel, even though she asked the maids that brought her food every single day, they did not speak with her. 

The elves had gifted her a beautifully sewn dress to replace her worn fighting clothes, it was long and silver and wrapped around her all the way to the ground, even to her surprise it had been roughly tailored to allow her wings to spread from the back. How they knew to do such a thing was beyond her understanding, but she appreciated the effort all the same. She had never worn such a delicate garment, it made her feel as though she was a princess, like from the stories she had read. 

Each night the elves sang a beautiful melody, with words she did not understand. But the music made her heart soar in ways she had never felt before. If Gandalf heals, she thought to herself, I believe I could bring myself to love this place. 

...

After what felt like a week of waiting, one morning a young elf maid called on her much earlier than expected. "Winged one" she said, obviously struggling with what to refer to her as. 

"My name is Avadis" she said gently, smiling at the elf. The elf blinked at her and then returned a small smile. "Apologies. Avadis, the Lady Galadriel has requested your presence"

Avadis nodded her head and rose from the bed. "We will prepare you" said the elf. 

The elves dressed her and wove her hair into intricate braids that fell down below her shoulders. Crystal beads were strung into her hair that reflected shimering light over her face. "Thank you" Avadis breathed out, looking at herself in the mirror. She hardly believed it was her. "You do beautiful work"

The elves smiled at her, this time a warm smile. She had gained their respect.

Avadis followed them silently up the winding stairs of the great tree. She was followed by a few guards, but that did not bother her. They still did not have much reason to trust her. At the top of the stairs, the maids left her alone and she stood on the same platform that she had landed on days before. Footsteps approached her from behind, and she turned slowly to be greeted with both Galadriel, and next to her, Gandalf himself. Crying out with delight and relief, Avadis ran and threw herself at Gandalf, who gave a laugh and wrapped his arms around her. Avadis' shoulders trembled slightly, but she did not give way to her tears for she knew she was still being watched by Lady Galadriel. 

"You did well, my girl" Gandalf whispered into her ear before letting go slightly to look into her eyes. Avadis only nodded, "don't ever do that again" she said sternly, looking at him trying to be mad but still with a smile on her face. Taking a deep breath, she stepped backwards and kneeled to the ground once again infront of the Lady Galadriel. But to her surprise, Galadriel herself laughed along with Gandalf. "Avadis, do not fear," she spoke, and Avadis rose to her feet, "Mithrandir has been restored, your loyalty to him has served you very well indeed. You are welcome here."

"Thank you my lady" Avadis replied. Looking back to Gandalf, she noticed that his old grey robes had been replaced with robes of white. "Would you sit with us?" Galadriel asked her, "I believe I owe you a proper introduction."

The group moved up a set of stairs and over to a large table, where another grand elf was seated at the head. "This is my husband, Lord Celeborn" Galadriel gestured her hand out to him, and he rose and took it, leading her to a seat next to him. Avadis began to kneel again when Gandalf gently nudged her up, "you'll injure yourself if you do that with every person you meet" he whispered to her with a chuckle, "Relax! Enjoy a meal. You are a guest here now."