Chapter 51 : Tension

JIN POV

It's raining, and I'm starving. I can hear her splashing around in the bathroom, probably making a mess, and all I can think about is how hungry I am. There's nothing in the house except pasta, so that's what I'm making.

Boiling water, a little salt, throwing in the pasta. Easy.

And then suddenly, there’s a wet body pressed against my back. I jump. I jump. Her chest is against my back and oh my God, I am not prepared for this. I push her away so fast, I almost knock the pot over.

She laughs. Of course, she laughs. “You act so cool, but you get flustered so easily.”

“Shut the fuck up,” I say, trying to sound tough, but my voice cracks just a little. Just enough for her to notice.

She looks over my shoulder at the pot. “You can cook?”

“Why are you so surprised? Yes, I can cook. Any problem? And before you even start making fun of me for being girly, let me just tell you I was—”

“God, why are you so perfect?” she interrupts, and I nearly choke on my own spit. “A complete package of husband material.”

I sigh, trying not to look at her, trying not to let her words get to me. “Hungry?” I ask, changing the subject.

“It depends,” she says, with that smirk of hers, sitting on the counter like she owns the place. “For what you’re asking?”

“Don’t twist my question to suit your fantasies,” I say, glaring at her. “I meant hungry for food.”

“Yeah, I am.” She nods, still smirking.

“Wait a little. It’ll be done in a few minutes.” I turn back to the pot, trying to focus on the pasta and not on how close she is.

“So, do you live alone?” she asks, like she’s genuinely curious.

I glance around the empty apartment, then back at her. “Do you see anyone else? What a stupid question.”

“Your parents?”

“Annyang,” I say quietly, not really wanting to get into this. But she keeps pushing.

“My brother and I also moved to the capital to study, leaving our parents behind. Do you miss them?”

I’m surprised. No girl I’ve dated or slept with has ever been interested in me. They never wanted to know me. They just wanted me to fulfill their fantasies.

“Why are you asking?” I ask, confused.

“Because I want to know about you.” She shrugs, like it’s the most natural thing in the world.

“Yeah,” I nod. “I do miss them.”

She nods back, like she understands. “What have you thought of becoming?”

“So many questions. Is this an interview? Where’s the camera, huh?” I’m getting annoyed now. What is this, 20 Questions?

She laughs, and it’s infuriating how much I like the sound. “You’re funny.”

“I wasn’t trying to be.” I mutter, but she doesn’t care.

“Tell me, please.”

“I don’t know.” I reply, and it’s the truth. I don’t know what I want to become. I haven’t figured that out yet.

“Then what do you like to do?”

She’s asking me questions I haven’t even asked myself. I take a moment, thinking about it. “I like… to make people laugh.”