Chapter 6 : Responsibilities.

December 29th
Taehyung POV

I was seated at the dining table, busy eating my breakfast. The sleep of last night was incredibly peaceful and i felt very energetic.

Lost in my thoughts, I was interrupted by a conversation behind me between my stepmother Martha, and Soohee.

It seemed like Martha was instructing Soohee to work till her death since she has started working for my father in his office. Soohee has started assisting my father alongside Yoongi, carrying the weight of his business dealings.

Meanwhile, my father I'm sure doens't do anything else than sitting on his throne and flirt.

I know everyone would kill me if I say it aloud but Martha is so manipulative. She induce guilt over one's choices, make people doubt themselves. Ultimately, she left individuals feeling inferior and completely under her control.

That's what I feel about her !

As I glanced back at them, Martha asked in her usual passive-aggressive tone, "How was your first day at the office, darling?"

Soohee responded, her voice tinged with a touch of nerves. "Well, I must admit, I was quite nervous initially. Nonetheless, I will take your advice and dedicate myself wholeheartedly."

Both women took their seats at the dining table, their conversation tapering off.

One of the servants asked, "Would you like more, Mr. Kim?"

"No I'm full." Shaking my head, I declined the offer.

Although there remained a small amount of food in my bowl, I knew that pushing myself further could lead me to vomit.

Martha responded with venom lacing her words, "Oh, yes go ahead and throw all the food because Mr Kim doesn't want to eat anymore now."

"You are on the brink of adulthood; is this how you will take responsibilities? Your cousin Yoongi, a mere twenty years old, is actively helping your father in his work. Sohee, too, has taken responsibility, graduating at the top of her class. And you? You continue to act like nothing more than a child." Martha continued, each word leaving a sting. Though her words cut deep, i didn't let it show on my face.

Attempting to stop and defuse the situation, Soohee interjected, "Martha, let's not burden him with duties; after all, he's still-"

"Keep your mouth shut. Do not interfere in affairs that do not concern you." Martha bellowed at Soohee, effectively silencing her.

"You contribute nothing towards the financial well-being of this household. You fail to make us proud. Instead, you recklessly waste our hard-earned money and use extortion. We won't fulfill your demands if cannot fullfill ours." Martha berated me, her voice resonating with anger.

"Allow me to correct your misconception. It is not 'our' money; You never earned it. It is my father's money. He works-" I began to retort, but Martha slammed her hands on the table so forcefully.

Both of us flinched at the sudden outburst.

"Do not dare challenge me." she snapped.

"Conform to societal expectations and meet the standard set for you, You are a failure." she approached me with bloodshot eyes. With a forceful grip, she yanked my chin upward, forcing our eyes to meet.

"If you failed to achieve high grades in your exams and continuously skipped your language classes, mark my words, you will live to regret it." A teardrop escaped my eye as she jerked my face away.

As she went up the stairs, I collapsed onto the floor. Soohee rushed to my side, helping me get up. She guided me to her room, where I mourned, crying for what seemed like an eternity.