Chapter 8 - Welcome to Ba Sing Se

Kira approached Jet, Smellerbee, and Longshot, who were standing near the bustling dock, their faces showing a mixture of anticipation and readiness. As she joined them, the noise of the crowd seemed to fade momentarily, focusing the moment on their conversation.
"I don't think Zuko will be joining the Freedom Fighters," Kira stated, her tone mixed with a hint of regret and understanding. Jet's expression remained thoughtful, his eyes briefly scanning the crowd until they rested on Zuko and Iroh, who were seated away from them, seemingly lost in their own thoughts.
"I'll talk to him myself," Jet responded firmly, his voice carrying a note of respect and determination. "Maybe he just needs to hear it from someone who understands the struggle from the outside."
Meanwhile, Zuko and Iroh sat on a nearby bench, waiting for the train that would take them into the heart of Ba Sing Se. The bustling sounds of the station were a sharp contrast to their quiet contemplation. As they sat, a tea vendor pushing a small cart came by, the aroma of freshly brewed tea filling the air around them.
"Best tea in Ba Sing Se!" the vendor announced proudly, catching Iroh's attention immediately.
Iroh's face lit up with enthusiasm as he called the vendor over. "Ah, a cup of your finest Jasmine tea, please!" he requested, his voice imbued with the excitement of a connoisseur finding a rare treat.

The tea seller poured the tea into a delicate leaf cup for Iroh, who eagerly took a sip. However, the taste didn't live up to his expectations, and he grimaced in distaste. "Blaugh! Ugh, coldest tea in Ba Sing Se is more like it! What a disgrace!" he exclaimed, clearly disappointed.
Amidst the commotion, Jet approached and took a seat next to Zuko. "So, you guys got plans once you're inside the city?" he inquired casually, his tone filled with anticipation.
Before Zuko could respond, the tea seller's voice rang out again, offering his wares to the travelers. Iroh waved him off with a gesture, but the distraction didn't last long.
Jet motioned for Zuko to follow him, and Zuko reluctantly rose from his seat, feeling a sense of apprehension about their impending conversation. As they walked a few paces away from Iroh's spot, Jet broached the topic that had been weighing on his mind.
"You and I have a much better chance of making it in the city if we stick together. You want to join the Freedom Fighters?" Jet proposed, his voice laced with determination.
Zuko hesitated, torn between his desire to find his place in the world and his reservations about Jet's group. "Thanks, but I don't think you want me in your gang," he replied, his tone guarded.
Undeterred, Jet pressed on, highlighting their past collaboration and the potential for good they could achieve together. "Come on, we made a great team looting that captain's food. Think of all the good we could do for these refugees. Also, Kira is coming with us too, I thought you two were close? Kira told me about your adventures together," Jet reasoned, trying to sway Zuko's decision.
Zuko's jaw tensed at the mention of Kira, his conflicting emotions bubbling beneath the surface. He couldn't shake the feeling of jealousy that gnawed at him, knowing that Kira seemed to be drawn to Jet's cause. He and Kira had few commonalities, he thought bitterly, and he didn't want to watch her slip away from him.
With a curt nod, Zuko turned away, his mind swirling with doubts and insecurities. "I said no," he stated firmly, his voice tinged with frustration.
Jet shrugged, accepting Zuko's decision with a resigned sigh. "Have it your way," he conceded, watching as Zuko walked away, his expression clouded with uncertainty.

As Zuko walked back to where Iroh was sitting, Jet watched him with a curious eye. He turned and made his way back to Kira, Smellerbee, and Longshot, shaking his head slightly as he joined them. Jet observed closely as Iroh subtly heated his tea using his firebending skills, barely visible under the cover of his large sleeves. The steam rising from the cup was a dead giveaway to someone as observant and experienced as Jet.
Jet's eyes narrowed in suspicion at the sight. "Hold up," he murmured, staring intently as Iroh inhaled the aromatic steam with a satisfied smile.
"Jet, what is it?" Kira asked, noticing the shift in his demeanor.
Jet pulled Kira aside, his expression serious. "Kira, how well do you really know Iroh and Zuko?"
Kira hesitated, caught off guard by his directness. "Not very well," she admitted, glancing back at where Iroh and Zuko were sitting behind. "I've only just met them recently."
Jet's eyes hardened. "Are you sure they aren't Fire Nation? Firebenders, maybe? I saw Iroh heating his tea with firebending."
Kira’s face registered surprise, then concern. "Firebenders? Are you sure? I mean, Iroh seems harmless enough, and Zuko...”
"He’s mysterious, keeps to himself. He could be hiding something," Jet insisted, watching as Iroh savored his tea, a small, contented sigh escaping him. "Keep an eye on them when we get into the city. If they are firebenders, they could be spies or worse."