Chapter 28 - Trauma

Please comment if you read this far into the story <3

The next day dawned bright and clear over the Air Temple as Team Avatar gathered for their morning training session. Zuko stood alongside Aang, Katara, and Toph, their determined expressions reflecting their readiness to hone their bending skills.

Meanwhile, Sokka and Kira sparred with swords nearby, their movements fluid and practiced as they exchanged blows.

Suddenly, the tranquil atmosphere shattered as the sound of approaching footsteps echoed through the temple grounds. Before anyone could react, Azula and her soldiers emerged from the shadows, their eyes gleaming with malice.

Zuko's heart raced as he faced his sister once again, his grip tightening on his swords as he prepared to defend his friends and the temple.

"Get ready, everyone," he called out, his voice steady despite the surge of adrenaline coursing through him. "We have company."

With a fierce battle cry, Azula launched herself forward, her blue flames crackling ominously as she unleashed her bending prowess upon Team Avatar and their allies.

As Azula commanded her soldiers to attack Kira, the young herbalist found herself facing off against a formidable opponent. The soldier charged at her with a ferocity that sent a shiver down Kira's spine, but she stood her ground, her sword held tightly in her trembling hands.

Kira's breath hitched as she faced the Fire Nation soldier, the sharp edge of his blade catching the sunlight menacingly. Each clang of metal against metal reverberated through her, pulling her back to that horrific night in Ba Sing Se—the night she was burned and nearly lost her life. The memory ignited a fierce determination within her, propelling her to fight with a desperate intensity.

However, the soldier was relentless and skilled, knocking Kira's swords from her hands with a well-placed strike. As the swords clattered to the ground, time seemed to slow for Kira. Her heart pounded in her ears, her hands found the small dagger sheathed at her side. With a swift, almost reflexive motion, she plunged the dagger into her assailant’s side. The soldier gasped, stumbling back, and collapsed, his eyes wide with shock.

Horror washed over Kira as she stood frozen, the dagger still trembling in her hand. She had taken a life, the finality of the act sinking into her soul like a stone in deep water. Tears welled up in her eyes as the chaos of the battle continued to swirl around her.

Suki, witnessing the scene, sprinted towards Kira, concern etched deeply on her face. She reached Kira just as her legs gave way, her strength drained by shock and grief. Without hesitation, Suki hoisted Kira onto her back, murmuring words of comfort as she navigated through the melee towards Appa.

"Stay with me, Kira," Suki urged as they reached the safety of the large bison. "You're going to be okay."

As they mounted Appa, the rest of Team Avatar managed to break free from the clutches of Azula's soldiers. Aang, Katara, Toph, Sokka, and Zuko hurried onto Appa’s back, each breath a mixture of relief and exhaustion. As Appa took to the skies, they looked down to see Haru, Hakoda, The Duke, and Teo making a daring escape in a commandeered Fire Nation airship, darting through the clouds away from the temple.

Aang directed Appa upwards, angling away from the chaos below. Katara immediately turned her attention to Kira, who lay unconscious, her face pale and drawn. She began to heal her, whispering reassurances, while the rest of the team watched in a heavy silence, each grappling with the weight of the battle they had just endured.

Sokka looked over at Zuko, who was staring into the distance, his expression haunted. "Zuko, we need to regroup and plan our next move. We can't let them keep pushing us like this."