Chapter 12 - Sunset

Early the next morning, Iroh woke with the first faint light that crept through the curtains. His sleep had been light, his mind already anticipating the day's necessary conversations, but also filled with a quiet joy for the young companions under his roof.

Moving with practiced silence, Iroh slid out of his bed and donned his robe. He paused, listening for any signs of wakefulness from Zuko’s room, but the apartment remained shrouded in the gentle breaths of deep sleep. He smiled softly to himself, pleased that Zuko and Kira had found comfort in each other's company, even under such unusual circumstances.

As he tiptoed into the kitchen, Iroh was careful not to make a sound. He began to prepare breakfast, a task he undertook with as much stealth as he did care. Today’s menu was simple yet hearty—some soft steamed buns, lightly fried eggs, and a pot of jasmine tea, rich in aroma and light on the palate.

As he moved around the kitchen, Iroh’s thoughts wandered to the kittens, the unexpected guests he had only glimpsed last night. He decided to add a little something special for them as well. After finishing with the human portion of the breakfast, he found two small bowls in one of the cabinets. He filled them with a bit of milk, diluted with water to make it easier for the kittens to digest.

With everything prepared, Iroh set the table for three, placing the plates and utensils with minimal noise. He arranged the chairs, each with a welcoming angle, hinting at the communal meal he envisioned. Beside each human plate, he placed the small bowls for the kittens, anticipating the surprise and perhaps the laughter that might follow when Zuko and Kira discovered his acknowledgment of their secret.

Every movement was gentle, every decision thoughtful, ensuring that the clink of china or the scrape of a chair didn’t escape his careful hands. Iroh wanted to preserve the peace of the morning for as long as possible, giving Zuko and Kira a few more moments of restful slumber.

Once everything was set, Iroh stepped back, admiring his work. The table looked inviting, a silent testament to his support and understanding. He poured himself a cup of tea, taking a seat with a view of the hallway, ready to greet the young couple with a warm smile and perhaps a gentle tease or two about their late-night antics.

As he sipped his tea, the soft sounds of the city waking up filled the background. Iroh’s heart was light; despite the complexities life had thrown at them, moments like this, filled with quiet joy and the promise of understanding, made everything worthwhile. He waited patiently, the morning stretching gently before him, filled with the warmth of his tea and the quiet hum of anticipation.

As the soft light of dawn crept into Zuko's room, it gently nudged the young pair from their sleep. Zuko was the first to stir, finding himself in a rather peculiar, yet endearing predicament. Kira’s arm was draped across his face, her gentle breathing tickling his cheek. With a bemused smile, he carefully adjusted her arm so he could see her sleeping peacefully beside him.

The movement woke Kira, who blinked her eyes open and looked around, slightly disoriented. As her gaze focused on Zuko's amused expression, she gave a sleepy smile. "Morning," she mumbled, her voice husky with sleep.

"Good morning," Zuko replied, his smile deepening. "Did you know you're an arm flinger in your sleep?"

Kira chuckled softly, stretching languidly. "Sorry about that. I hope I didn’t smack you too hard." Her eyes twinkled with humor as she settled back into the pillow, her gaze lingering on his face.

"It’s okay. I survived," Zuko joked, then pretended to consider something seriously. "But I should probably warn you about your snoring."

Kira’s eyes widened in mock horror. "I do not snore!"