Chapter 14 - Farewell

As Zuko and Iroh walked away from the dark confines of Lake Laogai, they paused to look up at the night sky. There, illuminated by the moonlight, they saw Appa soaring away, the silhouette of Team Avatar visible against the vast, starry backdrop. The sight of the bison flying freely, carrying his friends to safety, brought a complex mix of emotions to Zuko. Relief, a sense of loss, and a faint stir of hope mingled within him.

Iroh, observing the scene alongside his nephew, placed a comforting arm around Zuko's shoulders. "You did the right thing," he said gently, his voice filled with pride and understanding. "It is never wrong to act with compassion."

Zuko nodded slowly, his eyes tracking the fading figure of Appa in the distance. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the mask of the Blue Spirit, the symbol of a persona that had brought him both power and isolation. After a moment of contemplation, he tossed the mask into the nearby river. It hit the water with a small splash and quickly sank out of sight, signifying the release of a burden Zuko had carried for too long.

As they continued their walk home, Zuko's steps grew increasingly unsteady. The adrenaline that had fueled him through the night's ordeals was waning, and the emotional toll began to manifest physically. Suddenly, his legs gave way, and he collapsed onto the ground.

Iroh, ever alert to his nephew’s needs, reacted swiftly. He scooped Zuko up with more strength than his age would suggest and hurried back to their apartment. The urgency of the situation pushed Iroh to move quickly, concern etching deeper lines into his already weathered face.

Once inside their humble home, Iroh laid Zuko down on his bed. He fetched a cool cloth and placed it on Zuko's forehead, then sat beside him, watching over his nephew with a vigilant eye. The events of the night had shaken Zuko deeply, both physically and emotionally, and Iroh knew that the road to recovery might be just as challenging as the path to redemption they had both embarked upon.

In the quiet of the apartment, with the sounds of Ba Sing Se's nightly murmurs drifting through the windows, Iroh remained by Zuko's side. He whispered words of encouragement and understanding, reinforcing that the journey of self-discovery they were on was fraught with difficulty, but ultimately, it would lead them to a better, more truthful existence.

As Zuko lay there, drifting between consciousness and a fevered sleep, he could feel the weight of his uncle's words and the depth of his own actions. Tonight had been a pivotal moment in his life, and though the future was uncertain, one thing was clear: he was no longer alone in his quest.

In the dead of night, with Ba Sing Se enveloped in a quiet that contrasted sharply with the usual daytime bustle, Iroh made his way hurriedly to Kira's apartment. The urgency of Zuko's condition had left him with no choice but to seek her help. Iroh knew of her skills as an herbalist and healer, and he trusted her abilities could make a difference for Zuko now.

Arriving at her doorstep, Iroh knocked firmly, his expression tense with worry. The door soon opened to reveal a surprised Kira, her hair tousled from sleep, her eyes blinking rapidly to adjust to the sight of the old general standing before her.

"Iroh? What’s wrong? It’s the middle of the night," Kira said, her voice filled with concern.

"It’s Zuko," Iroh replied quickly, his voice low and urgent. "He’s very ill; he collapsed after we... after a difficult evening. I believe your knowledge of herbs and healing could help him."

Kira’s initial surprise faded, replaced by a swift flash of professional determination mixed with personal concern. Whatever anger and hurt she felt toward Zuko, it evaporated at the news of his illness. "Let me grab my things," she said, turning back into her apartment to gather her herbal kits and some essential remedies she always kept prepared for emergencies.