Chapter 18 - Kira Alone

TW: Attempted Rape & Substance Abuse:

Kira was deep into her nightly studies, the soft flicker of candlelight casting shadows across the worn pages of her herbalist books. Her room was cluttered with scattered notes and vials of dried herbs, each meticulously labeled. Amidst the routine examination of plant properties and healing salves, her attention was caught by a passage she hadn't noticed before in a dusty, ancient tome that seemed to have more tales to tell than the pages would suggest.

As she traced the lines with her finger, Kira stumbled upon a recipe titled **"Draught of Lethargy"** tucked away in a forgotten chapter of the book. The concoction promised a sedative effect, with an enchanting mix of moonflower nectar, crushed silverleaf, and a delicate drop of nightshade essence. It was touted for its ability to numb the senses and dull any unpleasant emotions, creating a sense of detachment from the world's pains.

However, the text warned of significant side effects. Overuse could lead to prolonged disorientation, loss of memory, and a weakening of the will. There was even a cautionary note about the potential for addiction, as the mind might seek to continue escaping reality rather than facing it. The careful balance of ingredients was underscored with a stern warning: too much nightshade could be lethal, turning the potion from a tool of relief into a deadly poison.

Kira’s interest was piqued not only by the potion's promises but also by the dangers it posed. The idea that such a potion could provide temporary escape from her lingering feelings of betrayal was enticing. Yet, the risks highlighted in the ancient script gave her pause. She considered the deeper implications of using such a powerful remedy. Could it truly offer solace, or might it merely postpone the inevitable confrontation with her emotions?

With a thoughtful frown, Kira copied the recipe into her journal, marking it with a note to handle with extreme care. She decided to gather the ingredients, particularly the rare moonflower nectar, which bloomed only under a full moon. The task would require precision and caution, both in the collection and the brewing process.

As she prepared to extinguish her candle for the night, Kira felt a mix of anticipation and apprehension about what she might discover in crafting the Draught of Lethargy. It was a curious chapter in her journey as a healer, one that could either aid her healing or lead her further into shadow. With the weight of her decision resting quietly in her mind, she settled into bed, the recipe's potential lingering like a silent promise in the dimming light.

The next day dawned clear and cool, a rare quiet morning that gave Kira the peace she needed to focus on her new, albeit risky, undertaking. After breakfast, she gathered her materials: dried moonflower nectar collected under the last full moon, finely powdered silverleaf, and a small vial of nightshade essence, its potency marked by the dark, ominous liquid inside.

Kira set up her work area with meticulous care, each ingredient laid out with precision on her wooden table. She consulted her journal, reviewing the warnings and dosages she had written down the night before. The balance had to be perfect—not just to ensure the potion's effectiveness, but to safeguard against the dangerous side effects she was all too aware of.

She started by dissolving the moonflower nectar in a basin of warm water, watching as the liquid turned a luminescent blue, casting eerie shadows on the walls of her dimly lit kitchen. Next, she added the silverleaf powder, stirring slowly as the mixture began to emit a faint, soothing aroma, reminiscent of the moonlit fields where the flowers grew.

The final ingredient was the most dangerous: the nightshade essence. Kira paused, her hand trembling slightly as she held the vial. She knew the risks—too much could be fatal. With a steadying breath, she added exactly three drops to the basin, the dark essence swirling into the blue like a shadow passing over the moon.