Chapter 48 - The eve of forever

Authors note: Please leave comments <3

The morning sun filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room. The large windows framed a beautiful view of the Fire Nation palace gardens, with vibrant flowers in full bloom and meticulously trimmed hedges. The ornate furnishings in Zuko's chambers added a touch of elegance to the warm ambiance.

Kira tiptoed into the kitchen, humming softly to herself as she began to prepare breakfast. Her long, dark hair was loosely tied back, allowing a few strands to frame her face. She wore a simple yet elegant dress in shades of green and brown, reminiscent of her Earth Kingdom heritage. She had spent considerable time thinking about what to make, wanting it to be perfect for Zuko. She opted for an array of freshly baked pastries, exotic fruits, and another special herbal tea blend, this time with a hint of honey to mask the earthy taste.

Balancing the tray carefully, she made her way to Zuko's chambers. Pushing the door open with her foot, she found Zuko buried under a mountain of blankets, looking slightly better but still pitiful. His nose was less red, and his eyes were less puffy, but he still had a bit of a raspy breath. Zuko's dark hair was tousled and fell across his face in soft waves. He was dressed in a simple, loose-fitting robe of deep red, the Fire Nation emblem subtly embroidered on the chest.

"Good morning, my love," Kira said cheerfully, setting the tray down beside the bed. "I brought you breakfast."

Zuko peeked out from under the covers, his eyes lighting up at the sight of the food. "Morning," he croaked, managing a weak smile. "What did you bring me today?"

Kira grinned, lifting the lid off the tray to reveal the spread. "Pastries, fruits, and a special tea blend. I figured you needed something delicious to help you feel better."

Zuko eyed the food suspiciously, his brows furrowing. "You're not going to make me drink that tea again, are you? It tasted like dirt."

Kira laughed, picking up a piece of fruit and holding it to his lips. "This one has honey in it. I promise it's much better. Now, open up."

Zuko complied, taking a bite of the fruit. His eyes widened in surprise. "Okay, this is actually good."

Kira rolled her eyes playfully. "You act like I’m not a great cook. I happen to be an excellent one, thank you very much."

Zuko smirked, swallowing another bite. "It's not that. I'm just a picky eater. You know that."

Kira raised an eyebrow. "Picky eater or not, you need to eat to get your strength back. And don't worry, I’ll make sure everything tastes good."

Zuko chuckled, his voice still a bit hoarse. "You're too good to me."

Kira grinned, picking up a pastry and holding it out to him. "Well, someone has to keep you in line, Fire Lord. Now, eat up. We've got a lot to discuss."

Zuko took the pastry, his eyes twinkling with curiosity. "Oh? Like what?"

Kira settled beside him on the bed, her smile softening. "Like our wedding. We're engaged, after all. We should start planning."

Zuko's expression brightened at the mention of their wedding. "You’re right. We do need to start planning. There are a lot of traditions we need to consider."

Kira leaned in, her eyes shining with excitement. "Tell me about them. I want to know everything."

Zuko took a deep breath, his voice steadying as he spoke. "Well, Fire Nation weddings are quite elaborate. One of the main traditions is the Fire Dance. It's a dance performed by the bride and groom, symbolizing the union of two flames becoming one. It’s meant to show the harmony between the couple’s spirits."