✦35✦

10 WEEKS INTO TEMPEST'S PREGNANCY

A dark and sorrowful harmony filled the walls of the prison, it began soft and quiet but soon grew in volume until the song was echoing throughout the four walls. The melody snuck under the doors and bled into the cracks of the walls until it reached the ears of the people it was intended for.

Everyone believed the most interesting thing about the Martians ended with the wings attached to their spines. The humans had spent about ten years on Mars before the war, teaching them English and learning about their culture. They were dazzled by what was on the outside, mesmerized by their wings and their sharp feathers.

They had no idea how good they were at singing.

"Do you hear that?" One of the guards entrusted with the sundown shift asked the other. He'd wondered if his ears were playing tricks on him or if someone around was playing some really good music. When he turned his head he was met with his partner fumbling with the door as he tried opening the entrance to the prison in a rush. "Mark? What are you doing?"

He got to his feet and went to tap him on the shoulder, after shaking him a bit he tried turning Mark around as he seemed to not be focused on anything but opening the door. When Mark finally faced him the man recoiled slightly at the sight of Mark's completely dilated eyes, his head swaying slightly. Mark barely spared him a glance before continuing to try open the door.

"Hey," The man tried to stop him "Hey! What are you doing?"

Mark gave up on the handle and instead settled on yanking the door repeatedly, his fingers like steel around the handles. The man fumbled with his communicator, about to call help when Mark yanked the door again, causing it to crack open slightly and louder music poured into the room like honey.

The notes danced around the humans head, causing his thoughts to spin and soon his mind went blank too. "Mark stop," He told him, reaching for the padlock again, "This is how to open it."

Once the doors were open the song was free to travel all over the building until hoards of humans were travelling towards the prison. Their braids led them to a prison cell that's door was wide open, the largest cell in the whole prison as it was combined with three others to create more space.

Tempest stood by the door of the cell, watching as the humans shuffled around her room like mindless animals. They shifted around each other, in an almost drone-like dance, swaying slightly as they enjoyed the music. When she felt as if enough humans had entered the cell she herself left it, closing the door behind her and watching as they all began to move towards the bars and press themselves against it.

Memory of the night that ruined her life helped her maneuver her way around the building, ignoring the pin-prick pain in her shoulders, arms and legs from the amount of needles that had been stuck in her over the last month. Her eyes lit up at the sight of the exit Ambrose had taken her too and she pulled out the keycard he'd lost before holding it to the door in the same place she'd seen him do it.