✦40✦

T E M P E S T

T E M P E S T

My hand curled around the human's leg before I yanked her back.

I recognized her face, she would come and note my condition when I was still pregnant. Although she looked a lot different than she did now, with a bloody nose and bruised face and tears streaming down her cheeks. She struggled against me, trying to buck me off her with no avail. Straddling her I leaned to the side to grab the gun she'd previously tried to use on me.

In her attempt to hit me she smacked the side of the my head where my helmet lock lay and it slid off revealing my face. This changed the expression on her face to one of pure horror and I knew it was because she understood that she was not getting out of this alive.

"Anything to say?" I asked as I shrugged off the helmet. Thicker tears began to fill her eyes but I didn't wait for them to fall as I aimed the gun at her face. Clicking the trigger, I grinned at the sound of the metal shifting but no bullet was released. "Don't worry, I wouldn't waste a bullet on little old you," I told her, honestly, "You're about to die anyway," I whispered to her as if it were a secret before slamming the butt of the gun across her face, knocking her out.

I stood up, pushing her limbs off me before stepping over her to get to the door I came here for. I stared at the keypad next to it before just lifting the gun and shooting it three times until the sign on the door went green and it squeakily began to open, only stopping halfway before it creaked to a stop and the light on the door went out.

I didn't know what I was expecting from his office. I'd never been in it.

It smelt well sanitized, and it was large but the desk in the middle was quite small in comparison. Noticing the large feather on his desk I plucked it off before staring at it, recognition filling my mind. "Fucking bastard," I mumbled before crushing the feather in my fist. Walking around his desk I ignored his dead body that was still put up against it.

Instead, I took in how disorganized he was, files stacked unevenly and one of his drawers open as if he was in a rush before attacked. A picture frame in the middle of it caught my attention however, it was a dark picture with grey blotches of it. I snatched it and eyed it very closely wondering if it was what I thought it was.

I flipped it over and noticed that something was written on the back of the picture, but it was being hidden by the frame and so without a second thought I slammed the frame into the desk, one twice and then the third is when I heard the wood snap. Pulling the picture of the broke wood, I finally was able to read what was written on the back.

Amber, my baby girl, 2038.

My eye twitched.

I let the picture slip through my fingers and shakily put my hand on the desk to make sure I stayed upright as I brought my fist to my mouth. My fingers trembled for a second before I closed my eyes and steadied them. When my eyes opened again, I acted without thinking, swiping off all of the things on his desk onto the floor before finally pushing the desk off the ground and onto its side.

I was reminded of his head body when the lack of the desk's support had him falling onto his back. Grabbing his chair, I wheeled it over to him before plopping myself into it. I nudged him with my foot a bit before relaxing as if I expected him to just wake up. "You look like shit," I admitted, considering he'd looked like he'd aged a decade in the months I'd last see him. "I always knew it'd end like this," I leaned in closer to pull his eyelid open with my finger before patting his cheek, "I must admit I though I would've been the one to do it."

I perched up my feet on his forehead and sighed, "Now my people can rest," Looking back at his desk the sight of something shiny caught my attention, "Because today, victory belongs to Mars." I got up and knelt by the knocked over wood. Realizing he'd attached his crossbow to the bottom of his desk. I pulled it off and swung the straps over my shoulders before I began to rummage through his drawers. A large grey stone sat in his last drawer, I ran my thumb over it's carvings before sticking it in my pocket. "I'm going to keep this by the way!" I called out to him as I grabbed the arrows for his crossbow before leaving.

I found myself whistling a small tune to myself as I walked further away from his office, finally happy that I'd closed that part of my life. He was dead and he could no longer torment me unless he found a way to haunt me from the grave. I wondered if Deimos was still tearing his way through the dome, the way I'd left him.

But I didn't have time to dwell on that as when I turned the corner there were four humans standing in a circle talking. I was suddenly hyper aware of the fact that I'd arrogantly left my helmet in the other room and tried to sneak away when one looked directly at me.

"Shit!" I cursed as I began to run blindly in the opposite direction. Heavy footsteps and angry words were thrown at me as I slide around corners trying to get away but instead I violently bumped into a different human. I used the split second they used to assess my face to point my gun at their knee and pull the trigger.

Red burst into the air as they reached for their weapon but I grabbed it before they could, it was a gun as well but longer and shinier. I yanked it from them and swung the end of it upside their head, the other humans caught up and the first face that I saw get around the corner got a bullet between their eyes. The dead body fell back into the arms of his friend who I shot next.

The other two were more strategic, coming at the same time, the larger one took a high swing for my head but I ducked underneath his fist and rammed my smaller on between the space separating his head from his shoulders and I pulled the trigger. The final human got me in the stomach and managed to elbow me in the jaw causing my mouth to fill with blood.

I spat it all in his face, staining it red and blinding him but when he gasped in disgust, I shoved the end of the smaller gun in his mouth and shot him through his skull. I left the weapon in his dead body, panting a bit as the adrenaline began to wear off. Turning around, I noticed the man I'd knocked out earlier begin to wake up and I used his back as boost before slamming his skull into the floor with my foot.

"Hey!"

More humans stood and the end of the hall began to approach me angrily, but difference was these ones were armed. I turned back to where I came from, holding up the larger gun between my shoulder and my chin whilst my hands searched my pockets for my whistle.

When I got to the much larger area of the centre of the building, I cursed again realizing it was filled with humans and behind me was more humans. The opening of the doors had alerted the people in the room of my arrival. I fumbled with the whistle in my pocket and clumsily it fell out of my pocket, gliding across the floor towards the humans who now had looks of recognition on their faces.

A shove from behind me knocked the wind out of me and threw me to my feet. "Martian trash."

The gun in my hands had slid away from me and a human was quick to snatch it, I shakily got to my feet and eyed the people surrounding me who looked anything but merciful. "And what's this?" I stared at the human who was holding my whistle, it was carved from human bone, but I doubt they wanted to know that.

"Was this supposed to save you?" He asked almost amused as he raised it up to show it to the humans behind him. I tried to lunge for it but the other humans brought out their weapons and pointed them at me, making me hold still whilst they continued to laugh at the instrument in his fingers.

"I think you're supposed to blow on it," Someone chimed, as they all looked curiously at what he was holding.

"Really?" He asked before blowing through the wrong side of it. He frowned as nothing, but air came out until it was snatched from him.

The girl who took it from him rolled her eyes and flipped it over, "Like this, idiot," She huffed before pressing her lips against it.

*+:。.。  。.。:+*