QUEEN OF THE WAVES | h2o & percy jackson | character notes

Here's the official character / world building notes on Merliah Summers and her fic !

- Merliah grew up with her human grandfather, Break Summers, in Malibu till she was about thirteen

- Merliah grew up with her human grandfather, Break Summers, in Malibu till she was about thirteen. When she was thirteen, Merliah had started showing both mermaid and demigod traits. At which point she got dragged into a mermaid first as she had to go help save her mother from her aunt, Eris, who was causing quite the disaster in Atlantis. After setting her mother free from Eris's jail and effectively stopping her aunt, she met her biological father and Poseidon told her about Camp Half Blood. Which is where Merliah started spending her summers, while spending her spring and winter breaks in Atlantis with her parents.

- She, unlike her brother Percy, is an actual full blown princess of Atlantis. This is due to her mother, Calissa Summers, being married Poseidon and Amphitrite.

- Merliah the streaks of hot pink in Merliah hair is not hair dye, but rather, are actually a common genetic trait found in mermaids. Much like their are many colorful fish in the ocean, mermaids have just as colorful tails, scales, and even hair. This trait of Merliah's is more prominent whenever she gets into the water.

- She gets sent to Australia by her mother to look after one of the ancient moon pool that's there on Mako Island. The moon pools are pools of water that are inherently magical due to begin blessed by ocean gods like that of Oceanus, Thalassa, Amphitrite, and various other ocean deities; Mako Island's moon pool was blessed by Thalassa (a primordial goddess of the sea and considered the mother of all sea creatures.

- Merliah fights with celestial bronzes trident (which turns into a pink clam shell charm on a necklace that she can easily rip off at anytime.).

- She is currently a high school student at South Coast High School; this is mostly due to her not wanting to disappoint her grandfather and just drop out of high school, which she has wanted to due at first since mortal school feels impossible to her due to begin a demigod and a mermaid. She doesn't exactly fit in to say the least.

- Merliah is considered a 'true' / 'born' mermaid, while mermaids like that of Cleo and the others would be considered 'made' mermaid as they were made by the magical of the moon pool and didn't just inherit the abilities like Merliah. There are vast differences between born mermaids and made mermaids. Some examples are minor like born mermaids coming in variety of colors and tail designs, while made mermaids tend to come in one tail color and design. A more drastic difference is that made mermaids always change in water and have legs on land, whilst most true mermaids are sea bond besides on full moons when they are temporarily granted access to legs for the day; Merliah is the exception to this due to having human and godly dna within her.