2

Sutton

"Once you've stopped watching that trash, are you ready to go?" Dad asks as he comes into my room and sees me watching 'Living Beverly Hills'. I have to admit that it's addictive, but I love Cressida Compton. I've heard a rumour she's going to be at Monaco with her family so there could be a chance to meet her. Her dad manages big bands such as Helix - they played a set this weekend and will be appearing again later on. 

Right now though? I'm heading to Silverstone with the high hopes that Vipera will be taking home another win. My dad is the founder and CEO, but he's also an ex race driver so everyone knows him. They know me too. I've been going to these things since before I could walk. 

Turning the TV off, I get up and grab my bag and camera. "All ready, is Mum?" 

"Right here". My mother now breezes in looking every inch of class. You certainly know when she's arrived. "Got your camera?" 

"Mhmm". I nod. No way would I leave without it. It was a birthday present and even though I've taken a few pictures outside in the garden, I wanna put it to the test today. 

"Pass, Sutton". Dad sighs, reminding me that I'm not wearing it. Once I have it, we make our way down to the car that come to pick us up. "So we really need to get past Levinson today, otherwise it's gonna cost us". Dad says to Mum while I scroll through my phone. 

"Pretty sure you should be worrying about Hamilton and Verstappen" I add dryly. "Hamilton especially". 

Dad chuckles. "Everyone is thinking the same thing Sutt, Daniel and Curtis did well in the last race so there's nothing stopping us from getting that poll position". 

"Except a fucked car or someone getting taken out". 

"Sutton". Mum scolds, "Don't wish that on the team". 

"I wasn't, I was just stating the obvious. You saw how Haas ended up last race. I bet money that Gunther is planning his resignation if that shit continues". 

Dad laughs. "Gunther's far from resigning Sutt, I spoke to him last week actually. He's pissed at the amount of damage and had the mechanics working overtime, but they're ready for this weekend". 

I zone out after this, once we're at Silverstone I'm gonna head to our hospitality unit to get myself an iced coffee. 

**

As always, the paddock is thriving with life from media, drivers, families and VIP's. It's a great atmosphere and I break away from mum and dad to go get my coffee, telling them that I'll see them in the garages. Dad's got to go to the Team Principal talk beforehand anyway, and I give a quick wave to Daniel and Curtis as I see them join him for their pre race interviews. 

I snap a quick candid picture of them and go to get my caffeine fix, sitting in hospitality for a while and then heading down the steps to go and wait in the pits for dad. Mum is most likely in one of the suites with the rest of the family, mingling and having champagne. I like being down in the action though. 

SMACK!

Before I can even contemplate what's happening, my camera makes a sickening crunch on the ground after colliding with a tall, hard object. 

A body. 

A guy's body.

A driver...

I stare at my camera, not even knowing what the hell to do first. Mourn it's loss which is apparent  considering it's in pieces all over the ground or lay into the dickhead who clearly wasn't looking where he was going. 

I go for option one. "Seriously?" I say, unimpressed and now look at the offender in question. I know him. Everyone knows him. It's Ari Levinson. He drives for Zephyr, ironic considering we kinda almost ran one of their cars off the track the other week. Perhaps this is payback. 

"Crap". He sighs after just staring at me for a moment or two, realising himself what's happened. I crouch down and so does he, helping me to pick up the bits. 

"You know, for a world champion driver, you should know to watch where you're going?" I huff and get to my feet, examining the camera. It's well and truly fucked. Dad's gonna go mad, this thing is ruined after less than two weeks. "Great, it's completely fucked other than the memory card". I stick the only surviving part into the pocket of my shorts. 

Ari looks apologetic. "I'm sorry, let me pay to get it repaired..." 

I stop him. "It's fine, just..." 

"Sutton". Dad's voice makes me turn suddenly and I do my best to conceal the camera - although he's gonna find out once he sees. "Everything ok?" His eyes go from me to Ari, suspicion crossing them. It's not like I'm not allowed to talk to the other drivers, but dad is wary considering there are a couple who have a rep. 

"All good dad". I nod with a smile and then turn back to Ari, who looks a little surprised now. I won't rat him out for breaking something of mine, but perhaps I'll be able to use this against him for another day if there's another literal run in, either off or on track. "Have a good race". I say and then go to follow dad. 

He's cute, why don't you turn around for another look? 

I look back and see that the champ is watching me leave. 

Shit.

I turn back again and dad now sees the camera. "Do I even need to ask?" He sighs. "How much is the repair costing me?" 

I shake my head. "It was my fault. I was in a hurry to get the pits and ran into Levinson - I've got birthday money left over so I can just use that to get it back to normal. Sorry Dad". 

He smiles. "It's fine Sutt, just watch where you're going? You should know that by now considering you're my daughter". He jests. "Want me to ask Daniel to try and give Levinson a scare out there?" 

"No!" I quickly tell him. "No, it wasn't his fault. I know you wanna kick Zephyr's ass but please turn that onto Mercedes? I mean, Ari's ok I guess". 

Yeah, for an idiot who can't even see what's in front of him. 

"Hmmm". Dad replies, most likely not even listening to what I've said. He's in team principal mode and the race is now going to be the only thing occupying his mind for the hours ahead. I'm ok with that though. 

Next race is Miami, and even though I won't have my camera up and running by then, it doesn't mean to say I won't have fun. 

I'm just not prepared for how much...