27

Sutton

Christmas and New Year fly by, too quickly for my liking. We had to head back to the UK anyway for work before we kick started the new season with testing and the first race in Bahrain. Ari managed to convince Barbara to come to a race or two. She doesn't really like travelling much but for him she's said that she would. Mainly for the US based races though, I know that she's coming to Miami at least.

Ari has said that the cars are performing better than last year, but there's an issue or two that still needs to be sorted. Currently ours are actually giving us points so we seem to be doing something right. However he's currently sat across from dad 'unofficially' discussing a potential move to Vipera over the Easter barbecue my parents have thrown.

"You've got a good car this year, I'll give you that". Ari nods, "only thing is would you be signing me for my driving, and not just because I'm dating your daughter?".

"We've had our eye on you for a while. Trust me, I know that you're able to keep your career and personal life separate - just like we are. We'd really love to have you drive for us unless you're met with a better deal, obviously we can have some official meetings when silly season comes around this year". Dad says.

Ari sips his beer and slowly nods in thought. "Yeah, that'd be good. Do you think Daniel or Curtis will go?"

"Daniel's contract is up but I know that he might possibly return to Red Bull, Curtis is still under contract and is happy as far as I know".

"Well I'm seriously considering it for now". Ari concludes and puts his arm around the back of me, resting it on the back of the chair.

It's a good sign for the team at least. I respect his decision whatever one he makes and so does dad.

We sit down and eat, drink, make small talk about how the season is currently so far and living in Miami together. So far it's going well and I'm enjoying just waking up to Ari next to me and the sound of the water. We're already planning to host Christmas this year for my parents and Barbara.

"A serious question though, do you think you'll retire when you're like forty?" Mum asks, "I thought Alonso would be slowing down by now, but he doesn't seem to be".

Ari sits back and nods. "I'd probably say yeah, hit forty and call it a day, that was what you did wasn't it?" He asks dad who nods.

"Pretty much, you just know when it's time".

"Yeah, guess you do - my time's not yet though. I don't feel I have anything to prove, but I guess i feel like I need to carry on".

"Well don't make some fancy retirement announcement and surprise us all before I've had a chance to talk about signing you". Dad smirks as Mum laughs a little into her wine. He's made it perfectly clear that he wants Ari for the team now.

Ari snorts at this. "Over my dead body - I'm not about to do something like that, can you imagine how that would go down once the series comes out on Netflix?"

Netflix have been filming this year, following all the teams and drivers around, documenting the drama all the way. Dad is not too keen on doing it but does so, while I refuse to sit in front of the camera and talk racing when I live and breathe it most days. I've slowly become like Ari, wanting more privacy than to have my face splashed over a TV screen.

"It'd be a shit-show" Dad replies 

Part of me wonders about my future, whether I'll take a step back from my job in a couple of years time to have some kids or perhaps get married. Ari and I have briefly spoke about kids, how many we'd like. He's happy to have a couple just as I am, and knows he's getting older. I don't like bringing it up though, only because I don't want him to think that I'm rushing things for us. It's a subject that we just sometimes talk about. 

Don't get me started on marriage. We've not even touched that subject yet. 

Ari looks at his watch. "Think we'd better head up, it's getting late". 

I nod and we stand up, saying goodnight to mum and dad before going upstairs to bed. I'm just thankful that things have turned out ok and my parents love him as much as I do. I don't know what I'd have done if Dad hadn't accepted it. 

"You wanna jump in the shower with me?" I come and stand in the en-suite doorway naked and look suggestively at him. 

He grins at this as he hoists me up and carries me back into the en-suite. "This should be a good test of just how quiet you can be..."