3

Ari

I know nothing about cameras, other than being on the end of the lens and pictured wherever the hell I go. But somehow I've managed to buy Sutton a replacement for my stupid ass breaking hers. The guy in the shop showed me a few until I just looked at him. "What's the best and most expensive one you got?"

Half an hour later, I was the proud owner of a camera that has some many different functions that it looks like it could just control itself.

I managed to get it into the Vipera team office an hour ago when I made sure to arrive mega early to the paddock. The media had barely even set up and so they were scrambling to get their pictures, but failed.

Suckers.

Anyway, I managed to attach a card to a very pretty box with a bow - hoping that this would be the key to not getting on the bad side of Sutton Giles before I've even got to know her properly. Did I google her after Silverstone? Of course I did. She's been to races in the past but I've barely seen her. She's usually in the pits instead of wanting to draw attention to herself, while I've got my head in the race and not paying attention to the other teams beforehand.

"I see Vipera hasn't had you assassinated yet". Sammy says as he arrives and walks into my drivers room. "Either that or Guy's daughter is gonna be holding a grudge against you for the rest of your life".

I take my ear buds out, hearing him over the music. "Shut up Sammy".

"C'mon, warm up time - gotta get the big stupid brain of yours into gear". He grins and gets out the things he needs for reaction training.

Miami - my favourite race. I dunno, there's better tracks to race but I like it mainly because of the vibe. Sammy and I go through reaction training, neck exercises and just getting prepped in general before I get a knock on the door and one of the hospitality team comes in, passing me the card I'd sent with the camera earlier.

I open it seeing what I'd written. One simple word.

Dinner?

And underneath, she's given me her reply...

Nice try.

I chuckle and shake my head slowly. She's gonna play hard to get. But I'm not giving up that easily. Instead I put the card away and then grab my drink - heading out to see whether I can spot Miss Giles around.

At least she likes the camera. If she didn't she'd have sent it back otherwise. Or maybe she's planning on shooting me down even more face to face. Either way, I scan the paddock for her, around the area where the Vipera team are all set up - but nothing.

Sammy is eyeing me knowingly when I return. "You looking for Sutton Giles?"

"Nope". I lie. "Went to stretch my legs".

"Bullshit, you went out to see if you could spot her". He now laughs. "It's not a wise thing, trying to woo the enemy's daughter. You've got a race to focus on, Henrik will agree".

Henrik is my manager. He's been vocal in the past about relationships that are high profile, worried I'll lose my focus. For me to potentially date Sutton Giles wouldn't be a good thing when it comes to press. If things didn't work out then it could get nasty. Plus - Guy Giles scares the shit out of me. Theres no way he'd even think about letting his daughter date someone on an opposing team.

Guess I'll just have to stare at her from a distance.

"Yeah". I say.

She's not into me anyway. She's already rejected my offer of dinner.

Yeah, but she accepted your apology gift

Of course she did, because it was a fucking expensive item to replace the one that my stupid ass broke.

Rachel, my assistant/PR minder comes in and gives us a nod. "You're needed down in the pits, weighing time". She replies.

I nod and finish getting my race suit on.

I like Rachel. She's able to put up with any shit thrown her way and has the wonderful task of following me about with a recording device before and after races,  so if I say anything, then my words can't be twisted.

Pretty sure that Sammy has a thing for her too.

"You haven't seen Sutton Giles around the place on your travels have you?" Sammy now asks with a sly look to me.

Rachel shakes her head. "She's with Vipera isn't she?".

"Yeah, and our boy here has crush on her".

"I'm gonna run you over and then reverse over you and keep on repeating the process after this race". I threaten him. "I don't have a crush".

Sammy snorts at this. "You do, geez you literally walked into a girl, broke her camera and decided you liked her there and then".

"Can I just go race now?" I turn and ask Rachel who just smirks.

"Come on". She replies and we walk out, leaving Sammy to put away his things.

Once we're near the pits, Rachel glances across to me. "She's on the list for the after party tonight. I've seen it". She now says to me quietly.

I look to her. "Thanks Rach. How'd you find that out anyway?"

"Had to confirm your attendance and saw the list as I did. I caught her name. Don't think her parents are attending though - just her and the drivers along with some more of the team".

I nod to myself. I was already looking forward to the party - win or no win. But now I know Sutton is going to be there? That in itself is a win for me.