22

Ari

"Tell me what the fuck is wrong with my car guys!" I warn

"We're working on it Ari".

The brakes have failed and I'm going nowhere. I'm gonna have to get somewhere safe and move to head onto an area that I can just stop the car, now crawling at a snails pace. "You're gonna have to box Ari".

"Does it look like I can even do that?" I say irritably and stop the car, taking the console and getting out after they tell me they're gonna have to retire it.

Fuck this.

The safety car comes to get me and once I'm back in the garage, I make my displeasure known. "Seriously what the hell? We keep having this issue with the cars, we go over it every drivers meeting". I stress, although it seems my words fall on deaf ears.

"I know, and we're gonna look into the issue, could be that we need a new part before the next race". The lead engineer says to me and I watch as the car is brought back to the pit, and rolled into the garage.

"We need a new car, a better one - I told you guys in qualifying yesterday that something didn't feel right". I cross my arms. "It's like it's gone to shit the last couple of years..." I now mutter to myself.

The mechanics now begin to look into what's going on and I shake my head. "Just know that I'm pissed". I finally say and walk through the garage to go and get weighed.

Henrik, my manager, is waiting for me and shakes his head. "It's disappointing, but don't let it get you down, you can get back on top for the next race".

The only thing I wanna be on top of is Sutton, releasing my stress into that beautiful body of hers.

"It's fine". I mutter as Rachel appears and says that there's gonna be reporters wanting to quickly talk before the ceremony and interviews. "I swear if you tell me what I should say then you're wasting your breath. The car is shit and they know it".

She winces. "We've gotta stay positive though".

"When they give us better cars? Then I will be". I tell her, getting weighed and then going to get changed. This is gonna spark all kinds of shit, press questioning whether retirement is around the corner just like it was for the car today, will I go to another team. Vipera is looking pretty enticing right now that's for sure.

I still put on a neutral face for reporters and say what I need to in the diplomatic way that I do so, then I say goodbye to Sammy and everyone, telling them I'm gonna stay for a while longer as I want some time to calm down.

"I mean at least you didn't have Stroll screw with your chances". Ransom grins as he passes my doorway and says bye.

"It's fine, we'll get back out there next week, go home, have a few beers and we can only hope that we can comeback on top".

I smile, because he did get p4 so it's good enough to try and get up into the top three next week. "Have a good evening Ran, see you later".

Once he's gone I take a shower and try to unwind before meeting Sutton. I don't wanna be in a mood all evening, it's not her fault. I give her a text and get my bag, heading out to meet her. "You ok?" She asks as we share a kiss.

"I'll be fine, shit happens". I tell her as we begin to make our way out of the paddock that's mostly quiet apart from a few people here and there.

As we get closer to the exit, I now see someone who I really don't wanna and slow my pace. "For fuck sake". I can't even take an alternative route outta here and now he sees us, shoving his phone away.

Oh great.

"Who's that?" Sutton asks.

"Hey sunshine! Great race".

I stare coldly at him. "Why the fuck are you here Lloyd?"

My step brother frowns. "I came to watch the racing - not a good day for you eh?" He mockingly claps me on the back and then his eyes rest on Sutton. "And who's this?"

"None of your business, if you'll excuse us". I say, keeping Sutton close.

"I was on the phone to Barbara actually, said I'd come to try and catch your race as I was in town". Lloyd says.

"I'm sure she appreciated your yearly call". I bite back, "you've called her, you watched the race - anything else?"

Lloyd shakes his head. "Think I got my to do list done for the day. Heard you're living here now".

"Don't expect me to invite you to the house warming". I reply. "And we've gotta be getting back". I have more of a reason to wanna get outta here now. 

"It was lovely to meet you Miss Giles, I hope you're taking care of my brother". 

He knows who she is...

I guess it's obvious considering she's been in the F1 spotlight since she was a kid, but for him to know that without me even making an introduction pisses me off. 

"Better than you have". Sutton replies icily and I want to kiss her. She knows exactly why I don't want Lloyd around. "Instead of a yearly call to your step mother? How about you visit once in a while, after all, she helped to raise you". 

"She understands how busy I am. Besides, it's not like she's suffering. She got the house and the mortgage paid right off didn't she? Plus with her share of the inheritance she's good for the rest of her life. Don't worry, I'll see her soon". 

"You missed her birthday this year, so next year could you at least try to make an effort?" I ask, knowing that he won't. 

Lloyd nods. "You should stop by my place some time, got a few here and there, perhaps when you're in Monaco next?" He says to Sutton more than me. 

"I'm sure that you can understand how busy we are". She smoothly mirrors his earlier words. "Some support for your brother would be appreciated though". 

"He gets it, trust me - plus I'm in talks to perhaps provide security here for next year - big job, but someone's gotta do it". Lloyd says and then his phone rings. "Anyway, see you around - brother dearest".

I stare after him with annoyance and then grab Sutton's hand, all but pulling her out of the paddock and to the parking lot. 

"You alright?" Sutton asks as we get into my car and close the doors. 

I nod. "Yeah, I'm ok - let's just get home so this day can finally be over". Turning the key, the car roars into life and we speed out. 

"Pizza?" She suggests. 

"Please, then how about we escape on the boat tomorrow?" 

"That would be amazing". 

We need to anyway, because come morning everything is about to get out of control - and not in the best of ways either...