4

Sutton
Miami Grand Prix

"There's a package for you - probably some more PR shit, you know how sponsors get". Dad says as he hands me a box with a ribbon around it - a card slipped under it. It was in his office when he arrived at the track apparently. "I'm gonna head to the pits - see you down there".

I wait until he's gone and then open the card.

Dinner?

I know exactly who this is from.

Now I untie the ribbon and open the box to find the most expensive looking camera in there.

He's brought me a new one - and it's top of a the range as well. Holy shit.

Still, mine needed replacing so at least he feels guilty, however that doesn't mean to say I'll go to dinner with him.

I scribble my reply back on the card and then call for one of the assistants, telling them to go deliver it to Ari's drivers room. Turning back to the camera, I smile to myself. I'm not interested in dinner, plus he drives for Zephyr and dad would have a fit if we got papped out together. There's also the rumours of him being a ladies man, although I've never actually seen him in a high profile relationship. He's cute, I'll give him that, but we wouldn't go well together.

I put the camera together and then test it out around the paddock, ok...this is fucking awesome. I go down to the pits and snap a few pictures, then heading to the suites - stopping and begrudgingly having some pictures taken with influencers who have somehow got passes just to get more clout. No doubt they've also got invited to the after party at Carbone Beach as well. Some people mistake me for one but I'm far from that. I'm just getting experience photographing families and weddings so I can actually become a photographer full time. It's been a passion since I was ten. 

My mum isn't at this race, so I hang out on the balcony of the suite, taking pictures as the race starts. I try and aim to zoom in to snap some cars individually. Not bad for the first try out, but I'm gonna need to get used to this camera. There's still a lot more races to photograph anyway. 

Curtis is currently neck to neck with Ari Levinson, and even though we get P2, it's still a victory for us. Daniel snaps up P5 so it's not that bad. We were around the same in qualifying yesterday, and would've got higher, but Zephyr have a good team this year. Ransom Drysdale is in his rookie year but he's one to watch for sure. Already he's gaining a reputation. 

I nip down to the pits to see dad and congratulate Curtis and Daniel before telling them I'm heading back to the hotel to get ready for tonight's party. The drivers will be there, although not all of them usually go depending on flights and stuff. 

I wonder whether Ari will be there?

I shake that thought away immediately. Then again I do have to thank him for the camera I suppose. 

If he wants to find you, he will. Keep him on his toes. 

Also true. He's a driver, he should be used to the chase by now. I make my way back to the hotel, saying hi to a few familiar reporters who know who I am on the way out. They're the respectful ones who only care about the sport, not the drivers personal lives. 

I contemplate over two outfits, finally deciding on one I'll feel the most comfortable dancing in - plus the food is always good too. Doing my hair and makeup, I take a look at myself. I have to admit that I scrub up pretty good at the best of times. 

Ari would like your dress...

Another thought that I need to shake out of my head. He probably isn't going anyway. 

But what if he is there?

We'll soon find out, because the car is here to pick me up, and I head off for a night of good food, drinks and music. I know Daniel and Curtis will be there anyway, so at least I can stick with them if I don't recognise everyone else. My dad doesn't do stuff like this although my mum loves it. She's back in the UK though, and doesn't always come to every race. 

I arrive and get out of the car to a sea of flashing lights as paparazzi take pictures of everyone who is arriving. I don't bother posing though, I'm not seeking to bring attention to myself. I tell security my name and head inside, the music blaring and people in groups, talking amongst themselves with drinks to hand. I'm in with the VIP section anyway, where the drivers and teams all hang out, and make my way up to the booth reserved for us. Daniel is already here, but Curtis is yet to make an appearance. I end up sitting and talking with him and the mechanics for a while until I decide to head to the VIP bar for a drink. 

"If you won't go to dinner with me, then can I at least by you a drink?" 

I turn and see Ari standing behind me, and fuck he looks good. My eyes scan him up and down, then settling on his own. "I suppose I can accept that". I reply and tell him my order. "You'll be happy to know your camera works like a dream, thank you for replacing it". 

"I hope so for the amount it fucking cost". He smirks and sips his beer. "And you're welcome". 

I now sip my own drink. "Do you go to all of these?" I enquire about the after parties after each race. 

He shakes his head. "Not all of them, just the ones that have a good vibe - I fucking love Miami though, other people aren't sure why I do, but it's the atmosphere really. Being here as well, especially with a pretty girl..." Now it's his turn to check me out. 

I laugh lightly and shrug, looking out at the guests around us having a good time. "Well there's plenty of them here for you to take to dinner - pretty sure they're lining up outside to catch a glimpse of you". 

"I've only got my eyes on one though, but I don't think I'm gonna have a chance". 

I know he's talking about me, but I play along. "And why not?" 

"She shot me down, but I'm just gonna keep on asking until she says yes". He's now grinning. 

I down the rest of my drink and put the glass on the counter. "Keep on trying champ, and she might just say yes eventually". Then leaving him with that thought and going back to the booth, knowing that he's watching every step I'm taking.