17

Sutton 

Barbara Levinson's home is beautiful, and larger than expected. It's gated and you have to buzz on the intercom to get in. Apparently Ari and his mother moved into this place when she married his stepdad, Richard, and has loved here ever since - even though he died a few years back. Apparently Lloyd, his step brother is an asshole and he very rarely keeps in contact with him. He's too invested in the security firm he was handed upon his dad's death amongst other things, but it seems Barbara either got the house or was granted it. 

Either way, Ari never speaks about Lloyd too much and I don't exactly want to ask. It's not really my place too anyway. 

"Ari! Come here, let me look at you". Barbara now jogs down the steps of the large porch and throws her arms around her son, then breaking off to look him over. "You've been working out more - hopefully none of that steroid shit". 

"Mom, if I did then I'd most certainly be kicked out of racing". He grins and hugs her tightly again. "I'm ok, you know I am". 

"I know, I just worry about you out there, ever since that Senna guy, was it him?"

"Yeah, but I'm not him and I'm not gonna be - relax. Anyway there's someone I want you to meet". He tells her and then turns to me. "This is my girlfriend, Sutton". 

Barbara's eyes widen a little as she clearly wasn't expecting her son to bring his girlfriend home to her, but her smile broadens as she takes me in and then hugs me, giving me a kiss on each cheek. "He always goes for the pretty ones, it's lovely to meet you Sutton". 

"And you too" I smile

"Oh, and British? He's always been a sucker for that accent".

"Yeah, her dad's Guy Giles, runs Vipera now". Ari explains as she nods with some recognition. 

"I remember him winning a few back in his day" Barbara says and now realises we're still outside. "Come in! I'll make us all some lunch". 

Ari shakes his head. "Mom, you don't have to do that". 

"Yes I do and you know it - unless you're still on your special diet?" 

He rolls his eyes at this. "It's not a 'special diet', besides Sammy isn't here to kick my ass so go for it".  Then glancing across at me and winking. 

At least she likes me. I think. 

"So, you're both heading to Miami after this?" Barbara asks as she brings us all coffee and puts it down on the coffee table. 

Ari nods. "Yeah, we're just gonna chill at my place for a few weeks. Need some quiet". 

"And privacy. I see all these things on the news channels and in magazines about you and what you're doing. They won't leave you alone, and I guess they won't when they find out you have a girlfriend. Especially if it's Sutton". Her eyes go to me. 

I brush it off. "We're trying to keep it on the down low for now. For a start his management don't want negative press, and I don't think my dad does either. They could make up stuff about how rival teams will be rivals even more. And if we do ever break up then it'll just be blown out of proportion". 

Barbara nods. "I see, but you do realise you're allowed to have a personal life. Your management don't have the right to 'manage' that". She says more to Ari than me. 

"No, but I don't want our relationship being covered more than the racing, because you know that's all the media will be interested in". 

"Does this mean that you're finally going to retire and give me some grandbabies?" 

I choke on my coffee and clear my throat. "I er...I don't think we're even thinking about that yet". My laugh is nervous, "We're only just getting started in terms of our relationship". 

Ari smiles warmly, but I can tell that the thought of us settling down fully is probably something that's also not been crossing his mind. He's too race focused, and also I'm starting with Vipera soon, so I'll need to focus on that. 

"Exactly. I'm not thinking about retirement yet, still got time left in me". 

Barbara sighs. "Trust you to choose something dangerous to do as a job. I watch some of your races and most of the time I'm on the edge of my seat with nerves". 

"So are my team". He grins. "I know what I'm doing Mom, you need to trust me. Just like I've always told you". 

She cares so much about him, I can see in her eyes that she desperately wants him to give it up and just settle for the family life. It's his choice though. 

We talk about my dad, racing, what we're going to get up to in Miami and so on. Soon it's time for us to go though, and Barbara hugs her son just a little longer than the first earlier on. "I'll see you soon Mom". He tells her. 

"You'd better. I miss you". 

"Same, love you". He breaks off as she then hugs me goodbye. 

"Keep an eye on him please?"

I smile. "He's under the thumb with me, trust me, both my eyes are on him". 

"And his on yours. He's smitten with you - it was great to meet you, hopefully I'll see you again soon". 

I nod, and let go of her as Ari puts his arm around me and we head for the car. 

As we drive out, Ari looks to me. "She tell you to keep an eye on me?" 

"You know she did". I laugh lightly. "She's just worried about you like all mothers are". 

"Sometimes I think that she worries a little too much". He says as we drive along, heading to Miami. "Even after years of driving she's still asking me to give it up". 

"She always will, but she also knows it's your choice. You do realise that I'm not gonna be asking you though?" 

He silent for a moment and then nods. "Yeah...I know..."